Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Local Fabric Shop in Poland >

Local Fabric Shop in Poland

Local Fabric Shop in Poland

Old 01-02-2011, 01:30 PM

How interesting! I love to see other places and other stores... I did a double take when I rolled up picture #4. The blue fabric that is hanging down from the shelf is the exact fabric that is covering a tube that holds all my knitting needles. Its not too unusual until you realize that my DM gave me that 'holder' and knitting needles with I was about 13 or 14.. I'm 64 now.. Either that is very old fabric or that pattern is being used again! It was fun for me to scroll down and find it!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Judie
How interesting! I love to see other places and other stores... I did a double take when I rolled up picture #4. The blue fabric that is hanging down from the shelf is the exact fabric that is covering a tube that holds all my knitting needles. Its not too unusual until you realize that my DM gave me that 'holder' and knitting needles with I was about 13 or 14.. I'm 64 now.. Either that is very old fabric or that pattern is being used again! It was fun for me to scroll down and find it!
Judie: That blue fabric with the vibrant flowers also looks retro to me. And I have been sewing for over 55 yrs. now. I remember having some of that print long ago. (You and I are the same age!)
Old 01-02-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Judie
r' and knitting needles with I was about 13 or 14.. I'm 64 now.. Either that is very old fabric or that pattern is being used again! It was fun for me to scroll down and find it!
It is classic "folk costume" fabric. It's beautiful. I've begun to try to figure out how to make a quilt out of it. It's definitely a woven.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-152100.jpe   attachment-152101.jpe   attachment-152102.jpe  
Old 01-02-2011, 10:10 PM

I can just see that beautiful floral fabric in a classic folk costume... The fabric that covers my knitting needle holder is blue with flowers.. Just like that in the 4th picture... I love that print. It must be very good fabric as it is as good today as it ever was.. Hasn't worn thin anywhere, not even on the bottom where it stands all the time.

Thank you for sharing with us, and sending the pictures. I too am Baptist and have been on quite a few mission trips outside of the U.S. I have been to Mexico many times, to Brazil 3 times, and to Thailand once. Quite an experience each time. Are you very careful about what you are saying concerning your work there?

I was fortunate to find fabric stores to look through and have purchased some beautiful yardage in each country. Mostly that fabric is still waiting for me to make it up into something. I love people and have had the most wonderful times visiting with women from these countries. I have found lovely people where ever I've gone. I am always surprised at how many people, all over the world, who know some or even speak great English. I can understand some Spanish, but butcher the language when I try to speak it! I don't understand much of any Portuguese, and I'm even worse when I try to speak.. In Thailand I can't even make sense of their alphabet! Yet, a smile is always understood the world around. I wish you a good year, good travels and hope you will check in here and let us know how your work and your sewing is progressing.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 AM

I have one thing to say to you, Thank God for the internet. You most order a lot of fabric online. And you are right about most of our stashes are bigger than your selection.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the memories. My family is from Poland and I have been able to travel there once. Loved it, the people and the customs. Hand carried back some of the crystal to add to what my grandparents brought with them. Keep up the good work and hope you continue enjoying your quiting.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by Momof3Es
I found your posts very interesting thanks so much for sharing!! I do feel very lucky of the fabric choices that we have here! Happy New Year and I wish you many visitors and trips to the US in 2011!
I don't have any trips planned to the US in 2011, though my dh will go to the states in Sept. :) (Missions conf.)

I will go with the kids, though, possibly to Egypt here in Jan. We have to leave the country due to a problem with my temp. residency card and I have to leave before Jan. 26. You know what they sell in Egypt, right? Egyptian cotton!!!!!

(Believe it or not, you can get a charter flight to Egypt, plus hotel and food for about $350 per person for one week from Warsaw.)

Fun.

I'll take an extra bag if I go there...There is a huge bazaar in Cairo...

Hey...quilters look EVERYWHERE....
Have fun and be safe. Sounds like a very interesting trip.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:42 PM

Thank you for sharing your experiences with all of us. It's been very interesting for me to read about life in Poland. It sounds like a much simpler existence, rather than the hustle and bustle of our busy part of the world.

Do you children like living there?

Have you learned Polish or do people speak English there, too?
Old 02-21-2011, 08:35 PM

My husband and I are going to Poland this summer. Do the large cities have fabric stores?
Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
Your corrogated fabrics would be chanille here if I am not mistaken.
I was thinking seersucker?