Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Local Fabric Shop in Poland >

Local Fabric Shop in Poland

Local Fabric Shop in Poland

Old 12-31-2010, 10:14 PM

Thank you for your most interesting and informative message. I do have a couple of questions: (1) Are you of Polish descent or are you American living in Poland? and (2) The fabric shop that you showed pictures of--do a great mamy Poles sew and if so, do they wear garments of such "rich" type of fabrics as shown in your pictures? I am really quite surprised that quilting is not popular in your country.
Yes, we Americans are very spoiled; sometimes I think we are too spoiled for our own good. Too many choices and too much "stuff."
Again, thank you for your post.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by melslove
a bit off topic but i was wondering what kind of technology they have there? Is it "dial up internet" or do they have DSL? Its quite interesting to hear about another culture, i love some of the technology we have today but at the same time, it can be a source of great stress.
Technology is fine. We've been behind the states, but are catching up. Prices are higher, but that is typically European.

There are some who have no computers or internet, and others, like us, have had DSL since it came into the area (a few years ago). Not all areas have it. But our town is thinking of getting free wireless for the center (like a public hot spot). I feel like it is so progressive! That is not the norm for here...they don't do things "for free" typically. :) I mean, you are supposed to pay for using the radio waves and watching public tv. It's on the honor system, but you are supposed to. :) --it's a monthly fee. Really weird, in my book. If they came into my house to check, how are they going to know if we watch tv or listen to the radio?

Our cell phone service was ahead of the states for a long time. Now the states is ahead of us and much cheaper as well. Very young children take phones to school, though (Kindergarteners, etc.). They are more or less a status symbol among the kids. They are very gadget-happy people. :)

The very poor almost all have a cell phone because you can get a cast off from someone else and then just pay for a number and keep it active with a couple of dollars. You don't pay to receive a phone call here, but you pay to make one (either land line or cell). Internet phone calls are different, of course, and are changing the look of that. We never used to have irritating sales pitches via the phone because it cost to make a call...people use the phone to take care of business quickly and make contact...not talk for hours and hours.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:32 AM

I hope people from other countries will also tell us about their life as a quilter.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:17 AM

thanks for sharing. Always interested in fabrics in other countries and the cost. thanks again
Old 01-01-2011, 06:21 AM

Our Walmart is discontinuing their fabric so we are getting lots of fabric at 50% off. We are being very choosy as some is not of the best quality. Both my daughters have started to quilt and we are all newbies. When we took our first class we didn't even know how to use the cutting board and the cutting wheel. I will be posting my first quilt soon. It is the Bargello and we did it. It's not perfect but we were so glad to put it together and see that we could accomplish something so difficult. Thanks for your pictures.

Joanne
Old 01-01-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
I just wanted to give you a glimpse of my local fabric shop here in Poland. This is Otwock, Poland. The lady who owns it has relatives in Chicago. This is a typical fabric shop here. I have 3 shelves of cottons to choose from and I'll make sure I label that picture.

These shops are individually owned and operated. This shop has an owner and one employee.
WOW is that 15 Euro a meter? I have been to Poland many times (at least 8) for the pottery :D Love it.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ann L
WOW is that 15 Euro a meter? I have been to Poland many times (at least 8) for the pottery :D Love it.
No. We do not use the Euro at this time. We use zlotys. It is 3/1 so if it is 15 zl it is $5 a meter.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:32 AM

good thing you aren't using Euro! Yes, I remember the zlotys. I hope to get back over there one day. I really liked it in Poland.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:10 PM

interesting pic's and story..thanks for the show and i think it's a nice store .
Old 01-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

I enjoyed your story. Thanks for sharing.