Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Local Fabric Shop in Poland >

Local Fabric Shop in Poland

Local Fabric Shop in Poland

Old 12-30-2010, 05:47 AM

Thanks for sharing
Old 12-30-2010, 05:49 AM

thank you for sharing! my brother brought me fabric from africa, i haven't used it yet. it's thick and i think it's like batik, which i've never used yet. i wish when i visited dubai, hong kong and hawaii i had gone to the fabric stores, but that was the time i was taking a break from quilting. my next trip around i will!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:52 AM

Do u order fabric on line? Thanks so much for posting the pictures, it is very interesting!! Do u live in a smaller town or a city? Do u have longarm services there? or all hand quilting?
Old 12-30-2010, 06:09 AM

I'm curious also about your ability to order from U.S. online stores. I realize that you have shipping and taxes to pay, but it would give you better cottons and a much better choice.

Until reading this board, I hadn't realized how much difference there is for people in other parts of the world. Thanks for the wake-up call. I'll say a little prayer of thanks for our many blessings.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:17 AM

My son spent the spring and summer in Germany and Austria. He didn't take any clothes with him--just his tent and backpack. He shopped in thrift stores for clothes. Can you buy used clothes in thrift stores inexpensively and take them apart to use the fabric for quilting. That is what I have done here. Men's shirts and ladies dresses and skirts have a lot of fabric.

old shirts and an old sheet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]150070[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-150065.jpe  
Old 12-30-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by leonajo
Do u order fabric on line? Thanks so much for posting the pictures, it is very interesting!! Do u live in a smaller town or a city? Do u have longarm services there? or all hand quilting?
If I were to order fabric on line (like ebay), I have them sent to my mom and wait either til she sends a box over by boat or til someone comes over or we go back.

Just 3 miles from the Warsaw city limits. It's a smaller town. But all the fabric stores are this size...even in Warsaw. Shopping is a "hunting/gathering experience" for this kind of thing.

Longarm services? That is funny. No. :) People generally don't quilt here.

I did buy a Janome 7700 here in Nov. !! I was so pleased to see it--and cheaper than the prices that I saw in the states. I'm not sure why.

I have no problem buying things on line, but I do have a problem with people/companies shipping things over. If they want to charge me 100% customs, they will. That isn't much of a savings by the time you add it to the original cost plus international shipping. We are able to bring in about $45/day duty free into the country, but that is supposed to include shipping. So, we are better off just being patient and waiting til someone comes over from the states who can then bring it over in their suitcases. We are supposed to have at least 2 couples coming in March...so we'll see.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:50 AM

Do you have to order your cottons over the Internet?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by grammy17
My son spent the spring and summer in Germany and Austria. He didn't take any clothes with him--just his tent and backpack. He shopped in thrift stores for clothes. Can you buy used clothes in thrift stores inexpensively and take them apart to use the fabric for quilting. That is what I have done here. Men's shirts and ladies dresses and skirts have a lot of fabric.
Yes, this is exactly what I do, sometimes. I use all cotton/woven clothing that comes my way... and usually buy used curtains/bedding. This is mostly how I get my fabric anymore...I'll post a picture of something typical I can find. It is more or less the 'thrill of the hunt" when I go to these types of stores. I get excited about 100% cotton in nice weights and colors for potential use.

Hot, hot pink curtains I bought. I'm using them now for binding some quilts I have that coordinate with this.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]150084[/ATTACH]

Have to take off the curtain gathering pieces
[ATTACH=CONFIG]150085[/ATTACH]

Cut into strips...waiting for binding. You can see the 100% cotton label that was part of the curtains. The fabric is really nice...far nicer than what I can buy at the store new.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]150086[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-150079.jpe   attachment-150080.jpe   attachment-150081.jpe  
Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 AM

Thanks for your post and for letting us see a glimpse into your quilting life!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
Do you have to order your cottons over the Internet?
If I order cottons, I only have them shipped to my parents in FL where they wait for us to come back...or someone to come over and visit. I can't afford to be impatient. :)