Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 AM
kso

Yesterday I drove 150 miles to go to my "local" Brother dealer. My intent was to have a #400 sewing/embrodery machine demonstrated with the intent to purchase later this year. This dealer, located in Tucson, is a major sponsor of sewing related events in TSN, including all of the sewing related programs on our PBS channel.

The small store was crowded with machines and there were several people purchasing vaccum parts and supplies. I found an employee that was not busy and asked her to demonstrate the machine.

At first she gave me a blank stare and then said I must mean the model #4500. I corrected her and said #400. She showed me a #900 and I said no, that wasn't it. I wanted to see the #400. Another blank stare.

Finally she said, "Oh we don't sell any models below the #900 in our store. You can buy one of those at a big box store. I can order one if you want." I told her I didn't know if I wanted it until I saw it demonstrated and had some questions answered.

So, I left. I guess I'll go to Walmart and buy one. I know I won't get any support but at least I can take it back if I don't like it. I wonder if all Brother dealers are this blase when it comes to sales of their entry level machines.