Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Interesting experience with Brother dealer

kso
    Yesterday I drove 150 miles to go to my "local" Brother dealer. My intent was to have a #400 sewing/embrodery machine demonstrated with the intent to purchase later this year. This dealer, located in Tucson, is a major sponsor of sewing related events in TSN, including all of the sewing related programs on our PBS channel.

The small store was crowded with machines and there were several people purchasing vaccum parts and supplies. I found an employee that was not busy and asked her to demonstrate the machine.

At first she gave me a blank stare and then said I must mean the model #4500. I corrected her and said #400. She showed me a #900 and I said no, that wasn't it. I wanted to see the #400. Another blank stare.

Finally she said, "Oh we don't sell any models below the #900 in our store. You can buy one of those at a big box store. I can order one if you want." I told her I didn't know if I wanted it until I saw it demonstrated and had some questions answered.

So, I left. I guess I'll go to Walmart and buy one. I know I won't get any support but at least I can take it back if I don't like it. I wonder if all Brother dealers are this blase when it comes to sales of their entry level machines.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kso
    Yesterday I drove 150 miles to go to my "local" Brother dealer. My intent was to have a #400 sewing/embrodery machine demonstrated with the intent to purchase later this year. This dealer, located in Tucson, is a major sponsor of sewing related events in TSN, including all of the sewing related programs on our PBS channel.

The small store was crowded with machines and there were several people purchasing vaccum parts and supplies. I found an employee that was not busy and asked her to demonstrate the machine.

At first she gave me a blank stare and then said I must mean the model #4500. I corrected her and said #400. She showed me a #900 and I said no, that wasn't it. I wanted to see the #400. Another blank stare.

Finally she said, "Oh we don't sell any models below the #900 in our store. You can buy one of those at a big box store. I can order one if you want." I told her I didn't know if I wanted it until I saw it demonstrated and had some questions answered.

So, I left. I guess I'll go to Walmart and buy one. I know I won't get any support but at least I can take it back if I don't like it. I wonder if all Brother dealers are this blase when it comes to sales of their entry level machines.
    she was correct. the lower model # machines are not made to be sold in Brother stores, but only in the big box retailers. They are not always TRUE Brother machines, but rather odds and ends from all makers that Brother bought out and relabeled for the box stores.
    They are not a real attest to a good Brother machine.

Interesting! Our dealer does carry the lower level machines and tried to convince my husband that they were somehow different from the big box inventory. According to what I read on this board that's simply not true. My Brother 9000 is from Amazon.com, bt they have the same one at Walmart. It's a step above what I started with and hopefully someday it will be the one I leave behind for now ... it's great!

I have the 400 and love it.......Michele

kso
    Maybe you can answer my questions.....

Does it do a cross stitch? A blanket stitch?
    What do you think of the quality of the above stitches and how do you like the quality of the buttonholes?

All the stitches are good, never had any problems with any of the stitches. Have not used the buttonhole stitch yet. Only thing i wish I would have got a larger frame for emb........Michele

Blog Entries
    The dealers won't sell the less expensive machines because they will take up too much shop space for very little profit and give the customer the option to not buy the more expensive machines in the shop so naturally they are considered 'not good enough'. I don't know why the dealers aren't up front about why they don't have them in the store. They shouldn't poo poo them, they have the Brother name same as their fancy machines.

kso
    And, by poo-pooing them, they give a potential upgrade customer a bad vibe.

Had the same experience last week.But got a nice demo on the expensive one which should help when I but the 400 from walmart.

The only thing Iam worried about is servicing. Can I send it to brother when I need too?

kso
    That's a good question. If it was warranty work, I wonder if the dealer would honor the warranty on a machine purchased at Walmart?

I Brother offers a warranty on machines that Walmart sells, there will be a way to register the purchase. If registered, they have to honor the warranty.
    Brings up another question...is the savings worth the hassel? vs the convenience of the redily available dealer for repairs?

i purchesd a sewing machine from walmart only to find out it was a recondition machine. i though it was a new machine, there was not a thing on the box or anywere that said it was a recondition machine. i was having trouble with it later down the road and when i got to looking at the book that come with the machine i found a ladys name and phone number in the book , so i called this lady and she said yes she had a machine like mine and that she had the same trouble i was having with it. So beware about buying machine from walmart it may not be new.

Well...I have always wanted a Janome so around the end of December I began looking at models. Found one I liked, like one my friend has-around $350, and was told they do not carry those in stores...lower end. So I asked what do you have? She himmed and hawed and showed me the other machines but could not tell me the difference. Well we ended up at the 7000 model I believe and she sat down and tried and I use the term lighty tried to demonstrate it to me. Never did ask me if I would like to sew on it. I asked her and she hesitated and mumbled well I guess that is ok...long story short..if I am going to pay $2800 for a machine, I would like to at least be able to sew on it in the store and have someone knowledgeable show me what it can to. I had done my research and was pretty much ready to buy in spite of her "help". I asked about the cabinet, well the cabinet came with it but they were backordered and she had..ready for it....NO IDEA when it would be delivered. Oh, and during our visit, I asked her what she sewed on and she told me a Brother, but she never showed me any of the higher end Brother's on the other side of the store either. I left with no machine and decided to keep my money and for my uses I upgraded to a computerized Brother that I found at Walmart online...that I must say I love for a fraction of the cost...not saying I will never get my dream Janome but wasn't meant to be this time around.