View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
John
Banned

I had tried a cotton/wool 80/20 batting and was pretty satisfied with it. But I thought I would like to try 100% wool. This is something called Bonded fiber 100% wool. It is very light and has a pretty good sized loft to it. Not as high as high loft polyester, which is very puffy, when quilted, but higher than cotton batting, which is kind of flat, until you wash it after the quilt is made, and it gets that old time wrinkled look. This should be warmer without the weight that is associated with the heavy 100% cotton. I think, what with the very cold weather it will be a godsend for our bed. We are currently using a wool blanket, a cotton/wool inner quilt under a cotton/ full sized bed quilt. That can add up to a lot of weight. We keep the thermostat down to about 63 to try and save some money when we are not up and about at night, so this should allow us to have that top quilt be a 100% wool lofted, warm bed sized quilt. At least that is the theory. In my research, this is the brand that came up with some of the best ratings as to all the requirements that I had. It does feel yummy, so I am looking forward to using it. It allows you a bit more space between stitching lines, and that can help out with the design of the piecing. You aren't restricted to as closely spaced seam requirements. I will give an evaluation when I get done. I haven't even started piecing yet, so it may be awhile. I'm making another Log cabin for another niece who is preggers. It seems that that is happening about every nine months and 10 minutes. :roll:

John