Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The mailman brought me a present today. >

The mailman brought me a present today.

The mailman brought me a present today.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Banned

I looked outside today and there on the porch was a gigantic roll of Hobbs Harriet Hargrave Bonded Wool Batting. I opened the roll up and felt the warmth of the wonderful soft wool and thought, this is going to be fun to work with. This is the first time I have ever bought anything so expensive. I usually get something from Joannes when it is on sale if I have a 50% coupon. But this stuff is divine. I am now changing my plans for the next quilt and I am going to make a large bed quilt. Oh boy.

John
Old 01-16-2009, 02:58 PM

Sounds like fun! I've never worked with wool batting before. Let us know how you like it.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:39 PM

I haven't heard of it either. Is it heavier? Wool would be very warm I would think.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:05 PM

you have fun John
playing touchy, feely :D
Old 01-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

I love using wool. You are going to love it too! it's light, easy, airy, but wonderfully soft and warm. It gives the quilt such a cozy drape.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

I haven't tried it and will look forward to hearing how you like working with it. I would think it might be a little warm for here though.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Banned

I had tried a cotton/wool 80/20 batting and was pretty satisfied with it. But I thought I would like to try 100% wool. This is something called Bonded fiber 100% wool. It is very light and has a pretty good sized loft to it. Not as high as high loft polyester, which is very puffy, when quilted, but higher than cotton batting, which is kind of flat, until you wash it after the quilt is made, and it gets that old time wrinkled look. This should be warmer without the weight that is associated with the heavy 100% cotton. I think, what with the very cold weather it will be a godsend for our bed. We are currently using a wool blanket, a cotton/wool inner quilt under a cotton/ full sized bed quilt. That can add up to a lot of weight. We keep the thermostat down to about 63 to try and save some money when we are not up and about at night, so this should allow us to have that top quilt be a 100% wool lofted, warm bed sized quilt. At least that is the theory. In my research, this is the brand that came up with some of the best ratings as to all the requirements that I had. It does feel yummy, so I am looking forward to using it. It allows you a bit more space between stitching lines, and that can help out with the design of the piecing. You aren't restricted to as closely spaced seam requirements. I will give an evaluation when I get done. I haven't even started piecing yet, so it may be awhile. I'm making another Log cabin for another niece who is preggers. It seems that that is happening about every nine months and 10 minutes. :roll:

John
Old 01-16-2009, 06:03 PM

I'm making another Log cabin for another niece who is preggers. It seems that that is happening about every nine months and 10 minutes.
:lol: :lol:

I'll be curious as to how you like it. Are the washing directions any different for the finished product from cotton batting?
Old 01-16-2009, 07:45 PM

John--you are going to love quilting wool batting---it stitches like "butta"
Old 01-16-2009, 09:26 PM

I too will want to know how you like it. Sounds very nice and easy to work with.