Thread: Cost of Cotton
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 09:15 PM
mar32428

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by mar32428
I just read about the cost of cotton going up and what the manufacturers are planning to do to compensate. First, the wholesale price has almost doubled. They don't say why. They are talking about making the fabric thinner. That has been mentioned on the board by several of you. Next, they are thinking about adding polyester to cotton in a 60/40 combo.

I can't imagine quilt material with poly. You can't use it for any donated children's quilts because of the fire hazard. We need to keep an eye on this topic.
I read it in today's Orlando Sentinel. And I agree with all of your comments to a degree. However, when you look at the changes in packaging in general, 1# is now 15 1/4 ozs. etc. at the same or higher price, you have to be on the lookout. I do think the cotton-poly blend will be in clothing to start but think in the future, it will creep into quilting fabric if there is more profit to be made.
all old news..been coming on for about a year now..but the poly cotton is interesting..too many laws now for that to hit the market big time
Can I ask were you read this info?