Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cost of Cotton >

Cost of Cotton

Cost of Cotton

Old 06-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I was talking to one of the gals last week at Joann's about the cost of fabric going up because of the rising cotton prices. She told me that BATTING prices will be rising too in the next few weeks.
batting has been steadily going up since Last DEC......and now most of the companies are eliminating 1/2 of the lines...Hobbs is dropping the Tuscany line!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:01 PM

I've noticed the discontinuation of several battings lately... never put it together, duh!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I've noticed the discontinuation of several battings lately... never put it together, duh!
AND it is getting harder to find the twin and full size...they want you to buy larger and cut them down..go figure...
bagged batts are hard to find as well..they must think we all have long arms and want nothing but rolls...
Old 06-07-2011, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
They already have been decreasing the width by an inch or two the past couple of years... have you noticed?

As to the original question of mixing poly in with the cotton... I don't think this would fly at all with the quilting market. Mar32428, could you have been reading an article about the cloth market in general? If so, that would make sense that fabric manufacturers would blend some poly in with the cotton, for the apparel market (T-shirts, underwear, sleepwear etc).

(Remember that quilting fabric is just a tiny segment of the fabric industry overall.)
It was just a general article and didn't specify. I don't think the person who wrote the article knew the difference.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:53 AM

I was seriously thinking about getting rid of some of my stash figuring that at my age, I'll never use it all. Think I'll keep it. Since I'm on a fixed income like many of you, I have not been buying fabric lately. I feel like we're back in the old pioneer days. Using every scrap and restyling what you have. Should see some very unusual quilts coming the next five years.