Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cost of Cotton >

Cost of Cotton

Cost of Cotton

Old 02-23-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by mommafank
We have read before that the cost of cotton has raised because the floods in Pakistan ruined most of the crop and that is where we get most of it. And we thought that it comes from the south----wrong. The growers are paid to let it rot in the fields to keep the prices up----yep that is how our government works! We sure could use that money for better things! Think of how much more they would sale if the price was kept down. Wonder if that is worth letting your congressman know about?
that is not true...they quit growing cotton in the south when soybeans became more in demand and easier to grow.
In the MS Delta they still grow cotton. And Texas is the #1 cotton producing state in the country. This year TX produced the most cotton in the world! HOWEVER, that cotton is grown for medical and home building supplies that are still made in this country. The cotton for clothing/textiles, is grown in Asia now because all of the textile mills are now in Asia. We make NO textiles in this country any more.
I have seen it rotting in the fields in GA---so maybe not in Texas and MS but elsewhere.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
We have read before that the cost of cotton has raised because the floods in Pakistan ruined most of the crop and that is where we get most of it. And we thought that it comes from the south----wrong. The growers are paid to let it rot in the fields to keep the prices up----yep that is how our government works! We sure could use that money for better things! Think of how much more they would sale if the price was kept down. Wonder if that is worth letting your congressman know about?
that is not true...they quit growing cotton in the south when soybeans became more in demand and easier to grow.
In the MS Delta they still grow cotton. And Texas is the #1 cotton producing state in the country. This year TX produced the most cotton in the world! HOWEVER, that cotton is grown for medical and home building supplies that are still made in this country. The cotton for clothing/textiles, is grown in Asia now because all of the textile mills are now in Asia. We make NO textiles in this country any more.
I have seen it rotting in the fields in GA---so maybe not in Texas and MS but elsewhere.
sometimes the farmers have to let it rot if it gets too buggy or too moldy..so it is a wet growing season, it can ruin the crops...

In other parts of the country it is the same..with different crops..but our Govt also pays for people to sit at home on their rears, so what is the difference?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:12 PM

This affects not only fabric, but batting and thread. I stocked up in December and January on batting and thread so that my quilting customers shouldn't see increases this year. I hope...

I just received notice from SewBatik.com that they are having to increase their prices. Every business in this industry that I know is trying to hold the line on costs without affecting quality. We also can not expect them to absorb the costs forever.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shelley
This affects not only fabric, but batting and thread. I stocked up in December and January on batting and thread so that my quilting customers shouldn't see increases this year. I hope...

I just received notice from SewBatik.com that they are having to increase their prices. Every business in this industry that I know is trying to hold the line on costs without affecting quality. We also can not expect them to absorb the costs forever.
which is exactly why you should go ahead and increase your costs now..not much, but enough to pad the bank account a bit better for next year, which by the way will be worse!

The cost of everything is going up, even your utilities to run that machine..an extra $.50 per yard for batting is not going to make or break the customer.
It will however determine how well YOU stay in business next year!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:49 PM

Well I wanted to down size my fabric stash but guess I will be going shopping for cotton fabric before the blends hit the market.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:40 AM

If you want to see the price of cotton fabric go down----everyone stop buying! Everytime gas goes up and people cut down on useage, the price starts to go down. It looks like the price of everything is going up-----everything but paychecks that is!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by mar32428
I just read about the cost of cotton going up and what the manufacturers are planning to do to compensate. First, the wholesale price has almost doubled. They don't say why. They are talking about making the fabric thinner. That has been mentioned on the board by several of you. Next, they are thinking about adding polyester to cotton in a 60/40 combo.

I can't imagine quilt material with poly. You can't use it for any donated children's quilts because of the fire hazard. We need to keep an eye on this topic.
I read this article on Penny Halpren's site this morning.
hhtp:/www.howtoquilt.com/articles/1060-price-of-cottonphp
Old 02-24-2011, 07:49 AM
Banned

I just read about the cost of cotton going up and what the manufacturers are planning to do to compensate. First, the wholesale price has almost doubled. They don't say why. They are talking about making the fabric thinner. That has been mentioned on the board by several of you. Next, they are thinking about adding polyester to cotton in a 60/40 combo.

I can't imagine quilt material with poly. You can't use it for any donated children's quilts because of the fire hazard. We need to keep an eye on this topic.
I read this article on Penny Halpren's site this morning.
hhtp:/www.howtoquilt.com/articles/1060-price-of-cottonphp

OK, so I found how-to-quilt, but none of her site links to the articles is working right now. I reworded your link and found that page no longer exists...I even signed up the newsletter thinking that might help, but NO...

would be nice to know if what she wrote was true or if she upset the apple cart and somebody had her pull the article!

Did you happen to save the article as a file on your computer?
Did you print it out?

The articles section has been removed from that website!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Banned

I heard back from Penny Halgren and here is the link the article. Does not really say too much..nothing we did not already know.

http://www.how-to-quilt.com/articles...-of-cotton.php
Old 06-06-2011, 05:55 PM

I was talking to one of the gals that works at Joann's last week about the cost of fabric going up because of the rising cotton prices. She told me that BATTING prices will be rising too in the next few weeks. I've also noticed at Joann's that a lot of their fabrics are on sale every week like $1-2 off per yard, 30% off, etc so you can't use one of their coupons on it. Hobby Lobby has done this for quite awhile. Usually everything in their fabric department is 30% off each week except seasonal.