Old 01-17-2009, 12:25 PM
skacian

Originally Posted by blahel
I dont think most people have a clue as to how much work goes into a quilt and not to mention expense. i think most people think that homemade items are made to save money but the opposite is mostly true and it often costs at least twice as much as a commercially bought one.
I recently made my niece a diaper bag and a baby blanket and put a lot of thought and work into it. i made a lovely label and hand embroidered his name etc. The only thanks i got was from her mum (my sister inlaw) and all she said was Naomi said thanks for the gifts. That was all. It would have been nice to receive a thankyou card from my niece and maybe even a photo of her and the baby as i also bought a book and a soft toy. I should have not expected that as for her 21st my mum and i went halves in a gold bracelet for her and i have never been thanked for that either.
I usually dont make quilts for other people unless they admire what i am doing and then i usually make them a gift for a special occasion as i am fully aware that non quilters dont always want or like quilts but that is their choice. I was just hurt that my niece couldnt even send a card herself to say thankyou.
I know exactly how you feel.....I have been there, done that with my granddaughter when she had her last baby. I very rarely get an acknowledgement, much less a thank you, when I give any gift to my younger family members. In fact, I have "forgotten" them at Christmas and birthdays when this happens too often.