Old 02-25-2011, 11:46 AM
samsews

Originally Posted by samsews
Originally Posted by SueJ
There are 4 of us. My aunt who I am very close to is an avid knitter so she taught me to knit. My 1 sister has mechanical abilities, give her a broken car & she can fix it where I have no interest or desire to get my hands greasy. She takes after our father who was a diesel mechanic his whole life. My youngest sister does alot of tile work & I can't think of what it's called right now, where you break up tiles & then arrange them in a picture. I am the only quilter (very new at it) but I also cross stitch & have crocheted. My brother doesn't have any of the above skills. My mother has never done any kind of crafts.
I took that idea and made a mosaic tile quilt and when a customer saw me quilting it offered me $150 for it (couch quilt). Another one came in and offered me $200 for it. So it told me I would make 2 but they wouldn't be exactly alike. So I made $350 out of broken dishes that I paid $2.00 for!

It's me again. You can also do counter tops and backsplashes that way too. I went to DIY online and got the instructions. It is really really and you will have a one of a kind table.

I think it's called mosaic tile work,at least that what we call it in Southwest Virginia. I had 2 glass topped end tables and I replaced them with maosaic tiles.All I did was put a piece of plywood in the opening and then take some old dishes and saucers that I found at yard sales and put them in between 2 pillow cases and took a hammer to them, and broke them up.
After that you just put down tile putty and arrange you pieces and spread your grout. It made such pretty endtables that I did my kitchen table. I even let my nephew,niece,and daughter help.