View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 05:26 AM
moreland

I have used spray since I began quilting 10-12 years ago and would not do it any other way. It sounds to me like you have used a lot more of the spray than is necessary. I know it took me a while to realize that generally one "swipe" across the area is enough. Someone mentions wrinkling, which it does often do, but it washed out easily so I don't consider that a problem.
I have pinned 2 or 3 but now I occassionally use a pin at the corners just to be sure the backing doesn't get folded under, but otherwise, I do not pin. Most of my quilting is in the ditch with fancy stitches. I encourage you to try it at least once more, using a minimum amount of the spray. Good luck. And I have always used June Taylor spray (if that is what Walmart sells, and I think it is.) I'm at my sister's and can't look at my cans of spray--I always try to have 2 or 3 on the shelf.

Originally Posted by paintbug
I dont know if it is the spray or me,but I bought a can at JoAnns and followed the directions [shake the can for a full 2 minutes] then sprayed the quit backing from 10 inches, then layed the batting down on the backing and sprayed and lay the quilted piece on top of that. It was a little wrinkled so I tried to move it, and it was hard to take apart, really glued hard. Then I tried to quilt, and the needle got all gunked up and it would skip about four stitches where it would not sew then sew a bit more and skip. I had to rip all the quilting apart....yuck! I put in new needle and it did the same thing. Then I tried just putting a piece of the batting inside some junk fabric and quilted without any spray , and it seemed to sew fine. the can cost $12 so I am very unhappy. I hate to go back to basting by hand. Uny Ideas?