Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: quilt basting spray

  1. #1
    Junior Member paintbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    western pa
    Posts
    111
    I dont know if it is the spray or me,but I bought a can at JoAnns and followed the directions [shake the can for a full 2 minutes] then sprayed the quit backing from 10 inches, then layed the batting down on the backing and sprayed and lay the quilted piece on top of that. It was a little wrinkled so I tried to move it, and it was hard to take apart, really glued hard. Then I tried to quilt, and the needle got all gunked up and it would skip about four stitches where it would not sew then sew a bit more and skip. I had to rip all the quilting apart....yuck! I put in new needle and it did the same thing. Then I tried just putting a piece of the batting inside some junk fabric and quilted without any spray , and it seemed to sew fine. the can cost $12 so I am very unhappy. I hate to go back to basting by hand. Uny Ideas?

  2. #2
    Super Member LoisN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Posts
    1,267
    I've never used basting spray. Hand-basting is my least favorite part of quilting. Wish there was an easier way.

  3. #3
    Senior Member qwkslver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    584
    I don't think I like that stuff. I used it on a flannel baby blanket and it made it wrinkled.

  4. #4
    KR
    KR is offline
    Senior Member KR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Where it's warm & sunny all the time :-)
    Posts
    623
    Hmmmm.....I recently had the same problem with long skipped stitches in spots. Tried everything....cleaned the race, changed needles, rethreaded top and bobbin, took deep breaths, sew and un-sew, over and over. Even though I didn't come to a conclusion as to what the problem was, I finally worked through it, but it was making me crazy!! Never thought about the spray basting. My problem spots MAY have been where there was a little more spray than necessary???

  5. #5
    Senior Member bunniequilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Buried Under My Stash up in Canada!
    Posts
    556
    I have used different brands of spray and have found one brand that works well for me. I use it for my art quilts and have never had any problems with sticky needles. Try 505.

  6. #6
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    Sounds to me like you used the June Tailor spray basting. I almost gave up on spray basting because of this brand.. had the same experience as you. Do try the 505 it will change your mind. And remember a little goes a long way.

  7. #7
    Junior Member paintbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    western pa
    Posts
    111
    Thank you all , it was June Tailor Spray. I will try the 505, do you know who selles it?

  8. #8
    Super Member Izaquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southern IL
    Posts
    1,286
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've never had luck sandwiching a quilt with spray, even 505. Just don't feel secure enough for me. 505 doesn't gunk your needles up as bad but I still do the good ole curved pins to hold mine together

  9. #9
    Senior Member quiltingaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    661
    I had the same trouble with June Tailor. I have 505 now but have not used it yet. I just basted a set of placemats with it but have not stitched them yet. That's todays project.

  10. #10
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,792
    Blog Entries
    2
    Dritz is very sticky, Sulky is OK but I do prefer 505 also. just hard finding it.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    131
    I bought a can of this stuff and have been reading all the posts about it. I am not sure I will ever use it. Just call me "chicken"..but I think I would spend more time cleaning up the floor and surrounding area plus positioning the quilt than it would have taken to baste. Count me out on that product!!

  12. #12
    Super Member pollyjvan9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    3,026
    Blog Entries
    1
    I mostly use Sullivans Quilt & Basting Spray from Hancocks because that is the closest fabric store, however, I have used other brands and not had a problem. Spray is the only way I baste quilts, large or small. Is it possible that you sprayed it on too thick even though you were at least 10" away? I use large circle motion when I spray. Sorry you had so much trouble because it really is a pain free way to sandwich a quilt. (I also sandwich standing up, not bending over a table or crawling on the floor.)

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    in retirement
    Posts
    1,516
    Blog Entries
    3
    I find 505 is the only one that doesn't gunk up the needle, and I don't spray alot, just a quick sweep, enough to give a little tack.

  14. #14
    Junior Member paintbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    western pa
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingaz
    I had the same trouble with June Tailor. I have 505 now but have not used it yet. I just basted a set of placemats with it but have not stitched them yet. That's todays project.
    Let me know how that works for you, I have a lot of placemats that I want to make to sell at my shop.

  15. #15
    Junior Member paintbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    western pa
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Beebee
    I bought a can of this stuff and have been reading all the posts about it. I am not sure I will ever use it. Just call me "chicken"..but I think I would spend more time cleaning up the floor and surrounding area plus positioning the quilt than it would have taken to baste. Count me out on that product!!
    I put an old plastic tablecloth on the floor and then there is no mess.

  16. #16
    Miss Mona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Peoria Illinois
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    I mostly use Sullivans Quilt & Basting Spray from Hancocks because that is the closest fabric store, however, I have used other brands and not had a problem. Spray is the only way I baste quilts, large or small. Is it possible that you sprayed it on too thick even though you were at least 10" away? I use large circle motion when I spray. Sorry you had so much trouble because it really is a pain free way to sandwich a quilt. (I also sandwich standing up, not bending over a table or crawling on the floor.)
    Sullivans is the only one I also use. I lay a sheet across the tables to help with overspray, and if the glue come in contact with a hard surface, orange oil takes the glue right off.

  17. #17
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    I love 505 or Sullivans. They work best for me. 505 doesn't smell as bad as Sullivans. I keep having to remind myself not to spray to heavy.

  18. #18
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    I only use the 505 spray and don't have any problems with it!

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,837
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    I only use the 505 spray and don't have any problems with it!
    me too..and i spray and sandwich on the hallway wall..

    http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/2566

  20. #20
    Super Member moreland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Posts
    2,167
    I have used spray since I began quilting 10-12 years ago and would not do it any other way. It sounds to me like you have used a lot more of the spray than is necessary. I know it took me a while to realize that generally one "swipe" across the area is enough. Someone mentions wrinkling, which it does often do, but it washed out easily so I don't consider that a problem.
    I have pinned 2 or 3 but now I occassionally use a pin at the corners just to be sure the backing doesn't get folded under, but otherwise, I do not pin. Most of my quilting is in the ditch with fancy stitches. I encourage you to try it at least once more, using a minimum amount of the spray. Good luck. And I have always used June Taylor spray (if that is what Walmart sells, and I think it is.) I'm at my sister's and can't look at my cans of spray--I always try to have 2 or 3 on the shelf.


    Quote Originally Posted by paintbug
    I dont know if it is the spray or me,but I bought a can at JoAnns and followed the directions [shake the can for a full 2 minutes] then sprayed the quit backing from 10 inches, then layed the batting down on the backing and sprayed and lay the quilted piece on top of that. It was a little wrinkled so I tried to move it, and it was hard to take apart, really glued hard. Then I tried to quilt, and the needle got all gunked up and it would skip about four stitches where it would not sew then sew a bit more and skip. I had to rip all the quilting apart....yuck! I put in new needle and it did the same thing. Then I tried just putting a piece of the batting inside some junk fabric and quilted without any spray , and it seemed to sew fine. the can cost $12 so I am very unhappy. I hate to go back to basting by hand. Uny Ideas?

  21. #21
    Super Member karenpatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Rosedale, Indiana
    Posts
    2,003
    I've only used the basting spray once and hated it. I just pin baste. It takes a while but I've never been unhappy with the results on my quilting using pins.

  22. #22
    Junior Member winterpromise31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    169
    I used spray baste for the first time yesterday, and I have June Tailor. It was a bit wrinkled so I had to peel it apart and re-smooth out several sections. But I thought it was just my inexperience that caused it. Or maybe that spray basting works better on smaller quilts (this one is lap sized). I'm tying this quilt, so I guess I won't know what it does to my machine. One thing I did notice is that it's not keeping the edges together. I think I'm going to pin along the border before I start tying.

    But now I'm nervous using the spray basting spray on my next quilt!

  23. #23
    Super Member lfw045's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rustburg, VA (for the moment anyway)
    Posts
    1,696
    I use spring clamps with my cutting table and large safety pins for basting....works like a charm.

  24. #24
    Junior Member elseebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    204
    I'm fairly new to quilting and love to spray baste! I tried the other brands mentioned here, but 505 is the best, IMHO. When I complained to the shop owner where I bought my machine about the "gunked up" needle, she said I was using too much spray. I used less the next time and problem solved! In a quilt class I was taking, the instructor taught us to spray baste. It is much easier if 2 people do it, so I put my quilt on tables covered with an old tablecloth, DH and I work together to work from the center and move out. The 505 is very forgiving and it's easy to move if you have a bump or wrinkle. The instructor told us to use our largest ruler's edge for smoothing, but I like my hands. One big item- NEVER spray the fabric! Always spray the batting- don't know exactly way but it does work better!

  25. #25
    Super Member jgriinke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,100
    I use the 505 all the time. This is for small items only. I have a frame to quilt all lap and bigger quilts. What I do is - lay the backing down and iron it - starch it flat - spray - not too much -lay the batting down and smooth with your hands many times until there is no more give to it - lay the top on the batting. The top has been starched so it lays smooth and flat. Smooth with your hands again so there is no wrinkles or give. Pull half of the top back and spray that area. Now, pull that back onto the batting and smooth that in place. Next - pull the other half back and do the same thing you did with the other half. Sometimes it takes more than just halves.
    When I get done spraying and smoothing, then I iron both sides to get the whole thing flat. I iron it from both sides. Just remember not to use too much spray.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.