Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt basting spray (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-basting-spray-t102884.html)

paintbug 02-25-2011 05:22 AM

I dont know if it is the spray or me,but I bought a can at JoAnns and followed the directions [shake the can for a full 2 minutes] then sprayed the quit backing from 10 inches, then layed the batting down on the backing and sprayed and lay the quilted piece on top of that. It was a little wrinkled so I tried to move it, and it was hard to take apart, really glued hard. Then I tried to quilt, and the needle got all gunked up and it would skip about four stitches where it would not sew then sew a bit more and skip. I had to rip all the quilting apart....yuck! I put in new needle and it did the same thing. Then I tried just putting a piece of the batting inside some junk fabric and quilted without any spray , and it seemed to sew fine. the can cost $12 so I am very unhappy. I hate to go back to basting by hand. Uny Ideas?

LoisN 02-25-2011 05:25 AM

I've never used basting spray. Hand-basting is my least favorite part of quilting. Wish there was an easier way.

qwkslver 02-25-2011 05:30 AM

I don't think I like that stuff. I used it on a flannel baby blanket and it made it wrinkled.

KR 02-25-2011 05:36 AM

Hmmmm.....I recently had the same problem with long skipped stitches in spots. Tried everything....cleaned the race, changed needles, rethreaded top and bobbin, took deep breaths, sew and un-sew, over and over. Even though I didn't come to a conclusion as to what the problem was, I finally worked through it, but it was making me crazy!! Never thought about the spray basting. My problem spots MAY have been where there was a little more spray than necessary???

bunniequilter 02-25-2011 06:03 AM

I have used different brands of spray and have found one brand that works well for me. I use it for my art quilts and have never had any problems with sticky needles. Try 505.

Lori S 02-25-2011 06:08 AM

Sounds to me like you used the June Tailor spray basting. I almost gave up on spray basting because of this brand.. had the same experience as you. Do try the 505 it will change your mind. And remember a little goes a long way.

paintbug 02-25-2011 06:13 AM

Thank you all , it was June Tailor Spray. I will try the 505, do you know who selles it?

Izaquilter 02-25-2011 06:29 AM

I've never had luck sandwiching a quilt with spray, even 505. Just don't feel secure enough for me. 505 doesn't gunk your needles up as bad but I still do the good ole curved pins to hold mine together

quiltingaz 02-25-2011 06:33 AM

I had the same trouble with June Tailor. I have 505 now but have not used it yet. I just basted a set of placemats with it but have not stitched them yet. That's todays project.

nativetexan 02-25-2011 06:35 AM

Dritz is very sticky, Sulky is OK but I do prefer 505 also. just hard finding it.