Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt basting spray (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-basting-spray-t102884.html)

Beebee 02-25-2011 06:37 AM

I bought a can of this stuff and have been reading all the posts about it. I am not sure I will ever use it. Just call me "chicken"..but I think I would spend more time cleaning up the floor and surrounding area plus positioning the quilt than it would have taken to baste. Count me out on that product!!

pollyjvan9 02-25-2011 06:38 AM

I mostly use Sullivans Quilt & Basting Spray from Hancocks because that is the closest fabric store, however, I have used other brands and not had a problem. Spray is the only way I baste quilts, large or small. Is it possible that you sprayed it on too thick even though you were at least 10" away? I use large circle motion when I spray. Sorry you had so much trouble because it really is a pain free way to sandwich a quilt. (I also sandwich standing up, not bending over a table or crawling on the floor.)

gal288 02-25-2011 06:43 AM

I find 505 is the only one that doesn't gunk up the needle, and I don't spray alot, just a quick sweep, enough to give a little tack.

paintbug 02-25-2011 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingaz
I had the same trouble with June Tailor. I have 505 now but have not used it yet. I just basted a set of placemats with it but have not stitched them yet. That's todays project.

Let me know how that works for you, I have a lot of placemats that I want to make to sell at my shop.

paintbug 02-25-2011 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Beebee
I bought a can of this stuff and have been reading all the posts about it. I am not sure I will ever use it. Just call me "chicken"..but I think I would spend more time cleaning up the floor and surrounding area plus positioning the quilt than it would have taken to baste. Count me out on that product!!

I put an old plastic tablecloth on the floor and then there is no mess.

Miss Mona 02-25-2011 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I mostly use Sullivans Quilt & Basting Spray from Hancocks because that is the closest fabric store, however, I have used other brands and not had a problem. Spray is the only way I baste quilts, large or small. Is it possible that you sprayed it on too thick even though you were at least 10" away? I use large circle motion when I spray. Sorry you had so much trouble because it really is a pain free way to sandwich a quilt. (I also sandwich standing up, not bending over a table or crawling on the floor.)

Sullivans is the only one I also use. I lay a sheet across the tables to help with overspray, and if the glue come in contact with a hard surface, orange oil takes the glue right off.

littlehud 02-25-2011 08:52 AM

I love 505 or Sullivans. They work best for me. 505 doesn't smell as bad as Sullivans. I keep having to remind myself not to spray to heavy.

Jim's Gem 02-25-2011 09:27 AM

I only use the 505 spray and don't have any problems with it!

watterstide 02-26-2011 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
I only use the 505 spray and don't have any problems with it!

me too..and i spray and sandwich on the hallway wall..

http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/2566

moreland 02-26-2011 05:26 AM

I have used spray since I began quilting 10-12 years ago and would not do it any other way. It sounds to me like you have used a lot more of the spray than is necessary. I know it took me a while to realize that generally one "swipe" across the area is enough. Someone mentions wrinkling, which it does often do, but it washed out easily so I don't consider that a problem.
I have pinned 2 or 3 but now I occassionally use a pin at the corners just to be sure the backing doesn't get folded under, but otherwise, I do not pin. Most of my quilting is in the ditch with fancy stitches. I encourage you to try it at least once more, using a minimum amount of the spray. Good luck. And I have always used June Taylor spray (if that is what Walmart sells, and I think it is.) I'm at my sister's and can't look at my cans of spray--I always try to have 2 or 3 on the shelf.

Originally Posted by paintbug
I dont know if it is the spray or me,but I bought a can at JoAnns and followed the directions [shake the can for a full 2 minutes] then sprayed the quit backing from 10 inches, then layed the batting down on the backing and sprayed and lay the quilted piece on top of that. It was a little wrinkled so I tried to move it, and it was hard to take apart, really glued hard. Then I tried to quilt, and the needle got all gunked up and it would skip about four stitches where it would not sew then sew a bit more and skip. I had to rip all the quilting apart....yuck! I put in new needle and it did the same thing. Then I tried just putting a piece of the batting inside some junk fabric and quilted without any spray , and it seemed to sew fine. the can cost $12 so I am very unhappy. I hate to go back to basting by hand. Uny Ideas?