View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 AM
thepolyparrot

If you do buy one with the wooden top, remember that the handle is only for lifting the top off of the machine and base, not for actual carrying. It's not strong enough to use for carrying the machine.

I think this one is a 99 and even though it's a 3/4 size machine, it's still pretty heavy. You can lug it to class without the wooden dome - just carry it by the arm.

I never have liked that crinkle finish - mostly subjective, I know. :) But my other issue with it is, how the heck do you get it really clean - that rough surface is a great place for oil and lint to hide.

If I were to buy it, (to strip and paint it! ;) ) I would replace the motor, belt, power cord and foot control and I would guess that it would take two days to thoroughly clean and oil the workings and the surface.

It's not a bad price, even including the extra $50 you'll pay to replace the electrical components. If I needed a "class" machine, I would buy it.

I am using my 301 for classes, but next time, I'm taking the 201, even though it is twice as heavy. I never have taken to my 301 and even though it's a very nice machine, I love my old beat-up 201.

Good luck! :)