Thread: Colonoscopy
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 AM
shequilts

I'm so sorry you feel this way. First of all for you, and your chance to live a longer life with a couple of simple tests. Family history shows us what to look for, it is not a predetermined death sentence. Your family may not have had preventive testing that could have extended their short lives. You owe it to yourself to take advantage of all the medical knowledge that is available to you. Mammography is a God send for saving lives. Colonoscopy is right up there (no pun intended) saving thousands of lives a year. My own DH was spared when a routine scope found his colon cancer. He had the tumor removed that same day and is disease free for the last two years. Th Doc said if we had not found it, he would have been dead in six months.
My second concern is that you may influence others to ignore opportunities to improve/save their lives. You are right in that we will all die of something, but I personally would rather it be old age.
Please reconsider your decisions and let us know you'll be around to share with us for a long time.

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Guess I'm a coward! I refuse to have one - or a mammo or breast exam! I am 56, my mom died at 57 and my dad at 61 so I figure I don't have long and why spend it on unpleasantness! Already dealing with diabetes, post knee replacement MRSA, asthma and weight issues! Just can't face one more thing!