Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Colonoscopy

Have to have a screening colonoscopy on Wed. Anybody have any prep tips for me for tomorrow? I'm dreading it!

Blog Entries
    A friend of mine just had one, follow the instructions they give you for drinking the gal of gunk. He mentioned he was only in the bathroom for an hour, not several like other people I had heard about.

have had many colonoscopys!!!! drink the stuff and STAY CLOSE TO THE BATHROOM. Drink fluids while you are permitted, so you don't get dehydrated. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    Have to have a screening colonoscopy on Wed. Anybody have any prep tips for me for tomorrow? I'm dreading it!
    Hi quiltmom,
    I had to have this procedure done recently, and , although not the nicest thing to have done - it is not that bad.
    My tips would be to follow the directions your given to clear your system and drink plenty of water as directed to ensure you don't get dehydrated.
    I was given a drug to sedate me and the only thing a bit uncomfortable was they put some air into you so that they can see better and that did give me some "gas" spasm - but all tolerable !
    Don't worry and good luck !!
    Dotty D.

My dad had this done. He said the worse thing was the roto-router drink since he had to stay very close to the toilet while it cleaned him out. He said the procedure itself was not a problem.

PS - I get to have my first one this year also. Or will, once I see my Primary Doc.

I've had two and came through both with flying colors....Clear liquids and then drinking that "stuff" is the worst part of the whole procedure...The colonoscopy itself is a piece of cake..Best tip I can give you is stay close to the bathroom..:)

Blog Entries
    Have had that done...its really not as bad as everyone thinks it is. Follow the directions given to you and you will do fine. Prep is worse than the actual procedure. Good Luck!

Make sure you are at home before you start the prep and don't make any plans. The procedure had been scheduled before DH decided he was sick and the day he got the obvious news that he was terminal (we'd already figured it out). The colonoscopy had been scheduled for the following day. The ENT who had delivered the horrible news then, of course, scheduled a meeting with the oncologist the next day, the very day I was to have colonoscopy. When I pointed that out he asked if I'd started the prep and when I told him I'd taken the first of several doses of the salty goop in his parking lot he ran down the hall and had the receptionist call the GI doc to tell him that Mrs. Brown was having such a good time with the prep she wants to reschedule so she can do it again. He did add that she (me that is) has an urgent family medical emergency. He then summarily ran us off the premises to get home before it was too late. I had to wait several weeks til DD could come here from her home 900 miles away. The 8 year old twin boys and their six year old sister and her DH were here to help. They kids were highly amused at my condition and weren't very discreet about that. DSIL was also on hand to take DH for radiation. Actually it did provide a few chuckles for everyone under what were dismal circumstances. It's been just about ten years and it does make me chuckle. Am I sick or something?

be sure to finish the drink by about 5 PM. I followed the instructions, thinking it made a gallon. It made about a gallon and a quart, I finished about 6:30pm and was up intermittently all night. Not nice.
    It said to start after lunch, next time I will skip lunch and start about 11AM. Don't worry about being hungry, doesn't happen.

As for the meds they give you during the procedure, I just would like to say -

"May I please have the rest in a doggy bag?!"

DH has this procedure annually,
    1. follow directions on the clean out
    2. drink clear liquids... 7-up, Sprite, Ginerale,
    3. DoNOT consume any drinks or jello that contain RED dye...read the labels
    4. Chicken broth and jello to eat...

Blog Entries
    It is no problem or concern at all! Husband had 2, I have had 1. Neither of us had any issues with it-piece of cake! I was so tired from drinking the stuff (add lemon crystal light-it is acceptable and works!) and doing my thing heehee that I was awake too late. Tired in the morning, was so interested in the procedure, and next thing I knew I had fallen asleep before I was given any meds to put me slightly under. Afterward I got a bed near a big window with the sun blasting in it was heaven! If anything, I got a good break and some good rest! You don't feel a thing, and if you can put the crystal light in it and use a straw, it isnt bad at all. I would (and will) do it again no problem. I dont know what people get themselves worked up over. Best of Luck to you and praying for a good result!

I've had 3 and realized they weren't too bad.

Many others have made good recommendations. One that I will add is drink other fluids in addition to water throughout the day.

Due to lack of food and fluids, I become very shaky and can't concentrate. But, I begin to feel significantly better as soon as I drank Gatorade.

I had this done a couple of weeks ago. Follow directions, chill the drink before hand which makes it better and stay close to the bathroom. When they said to start at five, I started around two so I could finish and then get some sleep. Relax. You will do fine. Drinking the gunk is the worst part. Good luck.

I have had three, polops removed on the first one, next two were clean. I recommend following directions carefully, and wear a sanitary napkin to avoid accidental stains.

The prep is the worst of it. Take a good book in the bathroom with you and make yourself comfortable. the colonoscopy is not that bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DottyD
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    Hi quiltmom,
    I had to have this procedure done recently, and , although not the nicest thing to have done - it is not that bad.
    My tips would be to follow the directions your given to clear your system and drink plenty of water as directed to ensure you don't get dehydrated.
    I was given a drug to sedate me and the only thing a bit uncomfortable was they put some air into you so that they can see better and that did give me some "gas" spasm - but all tolerable !
    Don't worry and good luck !!
    Dotty D.
    Peppermint tea helps get rid of the gas spasms
    all the best Quiltmom

Banned
    I had one last year. The worst part is having to drink that gallon of drek they give you to clean you out. The procedure itself was nothing, since my doctor puts you out for it. But I have to say, I could only get about a fourth of the liquid down you have to drink before hand and when I got to the office I told them thinking it wouldn't be enough, but it was (maybe because I'm on the petite side at 5' 2" and 108 pounds) and they did the procedure as planned. Made me very glad I didn't force down (even if I could have) the other three fourths of that drink!:D
    Good luck with your procedure!

Blog Entries
    I just had one and it was good. well diverticulitis but good. just follow directions on the liquid med you drink and what you can and cannot have to eat. other than that, it's easy. and someone to drive you home.
    also remove your socks and bra-let top! I didn't. they weren't happy but worked around it. I offered to remove it just didn't think it mattered because there were no snaps. oh well, live and learn. hoping that was my last test anyway.

I advise mix it with lots of lemon crystal light to make the taste tolorable with out it i could not get it down...and do not be surprised that half way finished if you start gaging and feel like vomiting that is the same with most people...and be close to the bathroom as well.... during the procedure they give a light sedative if you are like me i go to sleep so do not know about it until after wards..... good luck to you :)

I couldn't finish the prep...probably about 2/3 of it.
    I told them and they weren't happy but guess what? It was not a problem, they could see it all up there.
    The procedure itself was no problem at all as I don't remember anything.
    I did ask the doctor to remove my neighbor from up there if she could find her. lol I came home and there was a for sale sign in her yard! ha ha

I used to be a GI tech.The prep is almost always worse than the procedure. Make sure you have some vaseline or diaper rash cream on hand for the prep. Most people complained about a sore bum from wiping so much.You're allowed to use it...in fact all 6 of our docs encouraged it. Other than that, just be good to yourself and hydrate.

Blog Entries
    what they gave me to drink was MoviPrep. what a name. anyway it wasn't bad and it took lots of time to work. i was beginning to get worried it wouldn't do the trick, but it did. not bad at all. nothing like what i was given years ago.

Blog Entries
    Guess I'm a coward! I refuse to have one - or a mammo or breast exam! I am 56, my mom died at 57 and my dad at 61 so I figure I don't have long and why spend it on unpleasantness! Already dealing with diabetes, post knee replacement MRSA, asthma and weight issues! Just can't face one more thing!

I'm so sorry you feel this way. First of all for you, and your chance to live a longer life with a couple of simple tests. Family history shows us what to look for, it is not a predetermined death sentence. Your family may not have had preventive testing that could have extended their short lives. You owe it to yourself to take advantage of all the medical knowledge that is available to you. Mammography is a God send for saving lives. Colonoscopy is right up there (no pun intended) saving thousands of lives a year. My own DH was spared when a routine scope found his colon cancer. He had the tumor removed that same day and is disease free for the last two years. Th Doc said if we had not found it, he would have been dead in six months.
    My second concern is that you may influence others to ignore opportunities to improve/save their lives. You are right in that we will all die of something, but I personally would rather it be old age.
    Please reconsider your decisions and let us know you'll be around to share with us for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    Guess I'm a coward! I refuse to have one - or a mammo or breast exam! I am 56, my mom died at 57 and my dad at 61 so I figure I don't have long and why spend it on unpleasantness! Already dealing with diabetes, post knee replacement MRSA, asthma and weight issues! Just can't face one more thing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast