Colonoscopy

Old 02-28-2011, 09:02 AM

I couldn't finish the prep...probably about 2/3 of it.
I told them and they weren't happy but guess what? It was not a problem, they could see it all up there.
The procedure itself was no problem at all as I don't remember anything.
I did ask the doctor to remove my neighbor from up there if she could find her. lol I came home and there was a for sale sign in her yard! ha ha
Old 02-28-2011, 09:08 AM

I used to be a GI tech.The prep is almost always worse than the procedure. Make sure you have some vaseline or diaper rash cream on hand for the prep. Most people complained about a sore bum from wiping so much.You're allowed to use it...in fact all 6 of our docs encouraged it. Other than that, just be good to yourself and hydrate.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

what they gave me to drink was MoviPrep. what a name. anyway it wasn't bad and it took lots of time to work. i was beginning to get worried it wouldn't do the trick, but it did. not bad at all. nothing like what i was given years ago.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:14 AM

Guess I'm a coward! I refuse to have one - or a mammo or breast exam! I am 56, my mom died at 57 and my dad at 61 so I figure I don't have long and why spend it on unpleasantness! Already dealing with diabetes, post knee replacement MRSA, asthma and weight issues! Just can't face one more thing!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 AM

I'm so sorry you feel this way. First of all for you, and your chance to live a longer life with a couple of simple tests. Family history shows us what to look for, it is not a predetermined death sentence. Your family may not have had preventive testing that could have extended their short lives. You owe it to yourself to take advantage of all the medical knowledge that is available to you. Mammography is a God send for saving lives. Colonoscopy is right up there (no pun intended) saving thousands of lives a year. My own DH was spared when a routine scope found his colon cancer. He had the tumor removed that same day and is disease free for the last two years. Th Doc said if we had not found it, he would have been dead in six months.
My second concern is that you may influence others to ignore opportunities to improve/save their lives. You are right in that we will all die of something, but I personally would rather it be old age.
Please reconsider your decisions and let us know you'll be around to share with us for a long time.

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Guess I'm a coward! I refuse to have one - or a mammo or breast exam! I am 56, my mom died at 57 and my dad at 61 so I figure I don't have long and why spend it on unpleasantness! Already dealing with diabetes, post knee replacement MRSA, asthma and weight issues! Just can't face one more thing!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:56 AM

I agree with shequilts- our neighbor just died of colon cancer - around 70 y.o. Never had a colonoscopy. By the time they found it it was too late and had spread- she was gone in two months.

So I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. I know I would be really p!ssed off if I went to the doc because I wasn't feeling good and found out I only had two months to live. And I would be kicking myself the whole two months.

Scowlkat, you say you just can't face one more thing - that is the reason you SHOULD get the test. Much better to face the test than to face cancer.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:33 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice and good wishes. I'll have a more positive outlook, and may calm down some!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:31 PM

Huz had one last year. He had to drink a half gallon of Gatoraid along with the 8 ounce bottle of prep fluid. I suggest you make sure it's cold/well chilled or you may throw it up, he did.

As for sore bum....get some of those wipes. A name brand is Tucks, but we got the generic that worked just as well. They come as toweletts or round pads in a jar.

As others said....the prep is the worst part.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:03 AM

Thanks everyone! The prep and test went fine - no problems. They did have to stick me twice to get the IV in, I guess because I was dehyrated, but other than that - piece of cake!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:05 AM

I had one done about a year ago. Was really nervous but they put me t o sleep so I don't remember anything. It was easy.