View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 PM
carolaug

The bobbin case is that the blue bobbin case?? or something else? I haven't bought anything for the bobbin but think I need to. Please let me know what you bought.
Originally Posted by Dandish
I brought my Horizon home on Feb 9. For me there's a pretty steep learning curve as I've never had a computerized machine before, let alone on that does this much.

No, it's not noisy. I FMQs beautifully (even though I don't...yet!), the stitches are gorgeous and is, of course, a ton of room in the throat.

There were a couple of issues with the Horizon when it first came out. The first one was that when using the 1/4 inch foot it wouldn't go evenly over seams. Janome has redesigned the foot and and everyone who owns the machine gets a replacement when they register it (I'm still waiting for mine) or else the new O2 foot will come with your machine if it's recent come in to the dealer.

The other issue was with the automatic plate converter - the little tab was coming off. They apparently have fixed this by using a larger rivot/weld and it's been reported the problem has been resolved (and if it happens, the dealer will replace the faceplate with the remade one).

These two issues stressed me, but I decided to go ahead and purchase it anyhow as it sounds like they have the bugs worked out. I have not been disappointed so far, not by a long shot. I love it. It has the absolute workhorse feel of my older Kenmore Janome, and a lot more advanced features than my Baby Lock Crafter's Choice, both of which are great machines in their own right. And again, the FMQ is to die for. The autotension has worked very well in almost everything I've tried, and they make (optional) a FMQ bobbin case that has preset tension for FMQing (highly recommended if this is what you are going to be doing with it). I am far from putting it through all its paces, however, it can do so much that I've not even attempted yet. It'll be a while!

It's a big purchase. Read all you can, and test drive it (several times if possible) to be sure you will be comfortable and it is really what you want.