Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Horizon 7700 QCP >

Janome Horizon 7700 QCP

Janome Horizon 7700 QCP

Old 02-28-2011, 04:51 PM

Does anyone on here have this machine. I am thinking about buying one and would like some opinions first. Is it noisy when it sews and is it smooth when stitching. I hate a noisy machine. Thank you to everyone. Carol
Old 02-28-2011, 05:11 PM

I love, love, love mine. I just recently purchased the Horizon and have had so much fun playing with it. It took a long time to make the decision to buy it - but I certainly am a happy camper.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 PM

Janome has a reputation for making quiet machines. The 7700 has been on my wish list. You'll love it. It's a workhorse. I have 2 Janome's and doubt I will ever use anything else.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:29 PM

I have one and absolutely love it. I wouldn't say it is noisey at all. Unless I rattle along at top speed and then it's only because it's sitting on a piece of plywood in my desk. The machine itself I don't find noisey at all. Go and test drive one and see what you thing.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:34 PM

I have this machine. Am just getting to know how to use it. Pieced my first baby quilt on it this week. Unfortunately the dealer who sold it to me went out of business about a month later so I am having to teach myself how to use it. Lucky I have 50 years of sewing under my belt. I don't find it to be particularly noisy but when I am quilting I am not thinking about the noise the machine is making. I think if it were unusually noisy I would notice. I purchased because I am a free motion quilter and have been quilting on my old Singer 301 for years. Decided I wanted more throat area and this was the machine that I felt I could afford. Didn't want a long arm and couldn't afford the only other machine with a larger throat area, which was a Bernina 801. For the money I don't think you can find a better buy.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:35 PM

I really like the large throat..there are a few things that drive me crazy but maybe its because I am self learning.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I really like the large throat..there are a few things that drive me crazy but maybe its because I am self learning.
May I ask what bothers you about it. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:57 PM

The fabric gets stuck in the plate more than seems normally, the bobbin goes nuts with its running low and there is no warning when its out. It does not like thick seams....like bindings.(I never had a problem doing thick seams with my Kenmore) Most of the time I can get it to keep going. I am a fairly new sewer and do not know alot about the machine so maybe I am doing something wrong. I also still do not get the single hole plate. I do like how I can FMG a queen quilt with no problems...
Originally Posted by watson's mom
Originally Posted by carolaug
May I ask what bothers you about it. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:08 PM

I brought my Horizon home on Feb 9. For me there's a pretty steep learning curve as I've never had a computerized machine before, let alone on that does this much.

No, it's not noisy. I FMQs beautifully (even though I don't...yet!), the stitches are gorgeous and is, of course, a ton of room in the throat.

There were a couple of issues with the Horizon when it first came out. The first one was that when using the 1/4 inch foot it wouldn't go evenly over seams. Janome has redesigned the foot and and everyone who owns the machine gets a replacement when they register it (I'm still waiting for mine) or else the new O2 foot will come with your machine if it's recent come in to the dealer.

The other issue was with the automatic plate converter - the little tab was coming off. They apparently have fixed this by using a larger rivot/weld and it's been reported the problem has been resolved (and if it happens, the dealer will replace the faceplate with the remade one).

These two issues stressed me, but I decided to go ahead and purchase it anyhow as it sounds like they have the bugs worked out. I have not been disappointed so far, not by a long shot. I love it. It has the absolute workhorse feel of my older Kenmore Janome, and a lot more advanced features than my Baby Lock Crafter's Choice, both of which are great machines in their own right. And again, the FMQ is to die for. The autotension has worked very well in almost everything I've tried, and they make (optional) a FMQ bobbin case that has preset tension for FMQing (highly recommended if this is what you are going to be doing with it). I am far from putting it through all its paces, however, it can do so much that I've not even attempted yet. It'll be a while!

It's a big purchase. Read all you can, and test drive it (several times if possible) to be sure you will be comfortable and it is really what you want.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:12 PM

The bobbin case is that the blue bobbin case?? or something else? I haven't bought anything for the bobbin but think I need to. Please let me know what you bought.
Originally Posted by Dandish
I brought my Horizon home on Feb 9. For me there's a pretty steep learning curve as I've never had a computerized machine before, let alone on that does this much.

No, it's not noisy. I FMQs beautifully (even though I don't...yet!), the stitches are gorgeous and is, of course, a ton of room in the throat.

There were a couple of issues with the Horizon when it first came out. The first one was that when using the 1/4 inch foot it wouldn't go evenly over seams. Janome has redesigned the foot and and everyone who owns the machine gets a replacement when they register it (I'm still waiting for mine) or else the new O2 foot will come with your machine if it's recent come in to the dealer.

The other issue was with the automatic plate converter - the little tab was coming off. They apparently have fixed this by using a larger rivot/weld and it's been reported the problem has been resolved (and if it happens, the dealer will replace the faceplate with the remade one).

These two issues stressed me, but I decided to go ahead and purchase it anyhow as it sounds like they have the bugs worked out. I have not been disappointed so far, not by a long shot. I love it. It has the absolute workhorse feel of my older Kenmore Janome, and a lot more advanced features than my Baby Lock Crafter's Choice, both of which are great machines in their own right. And again, the FMQ is to die for. The autotension has worked very well in almost everything I've tried, and they make (optional) a FMQ bobbin case that has preset tension for FMQing (highly recommended if this is what you are going to be doing with it). I am far from putting it through all its paces, however, it can do so much that I've not even attempted yet. It'll be a while!

It's a big purchase. Read all you can, and test drive it (several times if possible) to be sure you will be comfortable and it is really what you want.