Thread: New Machine
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Lori S

The last time I took my machine in for its check -up and cleaning, I asked my local repair guy about machines. He was very very outspoken about all the manufactures entry or lower level machines... he said stay clear of them unless you do just occasional mending.
He did say that the older machines ( all metal) are still the best value on the market. He said that "if 99 percent of your sewing is a straight stitch will you really see the value of all the other "stuff" that comes on the upper machines"? He said "the older machines .. .just clean and oil them and they will run forever".
Look for a good used machine that meets your piecing needs, while you take your time to look for your "dream machine". Evaluate your real needs vs. nice to have.. maybe someday I might use these stitches.
Many of the sew/vac have great used machines that they will offer some kind of warrenty. same goes for some dealers, but remember they make the most money on new high end machines. In the process you will have a good back-up machine.
I'm still looking for the machine with a big opening that only does forward and reverse and goes like ......