Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Machine >

New Machine

New Machine

Old 03-01-2011, 06:23 AM

I am looking for a good sewing machine. My third Viking needs a new sewing head and I don't want to spend the money on it. I am looking to change brands but I don't know what to look at. I sew quilts and sew about 8 hours everyday so I need a real workhorse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:31 AM

I love my Janome 6600P. True workhorse of a machine. I've had mine now for 4 years and have yet for it to need service.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

You can't go wrong with a Bernina. Mine is 11 years old and never had a problem!!
Loooove Cape Cod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D
Old 03-01-2011, 06:36 AM

I had a Janome Gem for over then years, loved it and used it many times. Never anything wrong with it.

Just replaced it with a Elna Excellence, which is made by Janome too. This machine is really fancy with all those decorative stitches.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:03 AM

I have a Pfaff that is over 6 years old, a real workhorse, just love the IDT. I also have a newer Bernina that I love for FMQ as it has stitch regulator. I love both machines very much and would recommend either brand
Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 AM

Think about your budget and needs, and find out which dealers you have nearby and how you feel about them. No point research Elnas if they are really available to you, for example. No point thinking about new Berninas if your budget is $300. I used patternreview.com and the threads and search features on this site to research machines I was considering. MHO? I have a new Babylock Quest Plus and a used Bernina 440 and think they are both fabulous! As a matter of fact, I'd love it if they'd produce hybrid offspring for me....with BSR, IDT, Bernina perfection and the Babylock price. Maybe if I leave them alone in the sewing room with some mood music? Seriously, so many quilters have the Janome 6600 or one of it's relatives (Elna 7300, Quest Plus, new Pfaff Smarter) that I doubt you could go wrong there.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

A good used machine is an option. Lots of people have success with them!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:51 AM

I have a Babylock and love it. They have them in a wide range of prices.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 AM

The last time I took my machine in for its check -up and cleaning, I asked my local repair guy about machines. He was very very outspoken about all the manufactures entry or lower level machines... he said stay clear of them unless you do just occasional mending.
He did say that the older machines ( all metal) are still the best value on the market. He said that "if 99 percent of your sewing is a straight stitch will you really see the value of all the other "stuff" that comes on the upper machines"? He said "the older machines .. .just clean and oil them and they will run forever".
Look for a good used machine that meets your piecing needs, while you take your time to look for your "dream machine". Evaluate your real needs vs. nice to have.. maybe someday I might use these stitches.
Many of the sew/vac have great used machines that they will offer some kind of warrenty. same goes for some dealers, but remember they make the most money on new high end machines. In the process you will have a good back-up machine.
I'm still looking for the machine with a big opening that only does forward and reverse and goes like ......
Old 03-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Thanks to all of you for the info. I am going to look for a used machine but no machine is perfect. I will try to stay around 700.00 if that is possible. Again, thanks for the info, this board is certainly a wealth of info.