View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 PM
LucyInTheSky

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
In the beginning, it was just three of us. then there was four and then five and so on.I am the one with the largest house and I have to admit it was convienient for me because I don't have to get up early, get dressed, leave the house and get out in the rain, or heat.
On the other hand, one of the girls sewed on my machine and flat messed it up and it hasn't worked right since. And then there was the drunk. One of the other ladies invited her and I smelt booze on her the first day. But, she was soooo happy to be there. But, the day she fell out of the chair and hit her hip on the couch and couldn't get up. I was afraid of a lawsuit for sure. Also, right before that happened, she asked me if I had some extra backing and batting she could buy from me so she could put her quilt in the frames when we finished the one that was in there. So I got her some. She said she would pay me later. A couple of months later, she needed some more. I asked her if she wanted to pay for the other one she got that day and she denied ever getting any from me. So..... I didn't argue. I just chalked it up as lost.There was so many issues that I thought,"Why am I putting myself through this?" And, you know what? I think I have just answered my own question.
I wouldn't let anyone use my machine, period. I made a quilting friend (wife of my first boyfriend) and I told her "I don't share well". We joked, we're great friends, but I made sure she knew I wasn't going to share my fabric or machine or whatnot, and she understood. And that's just how I am, and I think if you're up front about things like that (stay in the living room, don't touch my machine, BYOS (bring your own stuff), etc, it sets the expectations and establishes your boundaries.