View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Jo Belmont

Our group meets in the dining hall of the church, and it is the most fun and best comaraderie of any to which I've belonged.

It's most distinct advantage is that there are no rules and no "responsibilities." Here's how it works and works so well.

It's strictly BYOP (Bring Your Own Project). There are tables and electricity available, so bring the whole sewing room if you wish. While others may be there to help you carry it in, be prepared to do it yourself just in case.

We have a definite start time and an approximate (within an hour) wrap-up time. Everyone cleans up their own mess and someone always pitches in to take down the ironing board and drain and put away the iron. If you're late arriving, you'll likely miss lots of what the others have brought to show and less time for your project, but come on anyway. You've only shorted yourself, but sometimes lateness is unavoidable.

It's also BYOL (Bring Your Own Lunch). Somebody / anybody will notice that it's about noon and start setting out the lunch bags from the frig onto one of the empty tables. We take 30-45 minutes for lunch and continuing great conversation.

We help each other. Show different things we're working on, share pattern modifications, help newbies, share our disasters (some of our best laughs) and help with other life events as we may be personally led - or not.

No obligations, but just great sharing. We wouldn't have it any other way. Lovely times for all of us.

Those who attend all chip in a buck or two toward the church's utilities and when we begin to see a winter slow-down because of all the snow birds who return to Florida, we retire it to one of our homes for the winter months. Pretty much the same basis.

Someone usually undertakes getting out email notices, but there are others who will gladly fill the gap if needed. Nobody ever has too much to do if anything at all.

I have enjoyed some of my greatest learning experiences with this group as well and had the joy of introducing a couple newbies to the addiction.

Just stay loose and don't take yourselves too seriously.