View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 06:00 PM
BluegrassGurl

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I just spent the last half hour in my dining room. The room is about 80% improved. There are no scraps on the floor... no thread on the table... no trash anywhere. All the fabric is in containers, or folded up. All my notions are put in a container to go through later. I am too tired to tackle the back room this evening, so I will work on it in bits and pieces over the next couple of weeks. I am NOT starting any new projects until I get the laundry room done. I have a few commitments I need to finish up, but they will be my "reward" for having spent a few minutes working on that back room.
Go Misty! Go Misty! Go Misty! Congratulations on your progress thus far. Keep at it girl... it will be soooo worth it.

I know exactly what you mean about being overwhelmed. I am a very organized person HOWEVER I had let my sewing area (huge area in my basement) get in a wreck.... big time. It got to where I just did not want to enter there at all. About 4 months ago, I decided to tackle the disaster area. Oh my goodness.... I had many overwhelming moments. When I could feel that overwhelming feeling start to creep in.... I walked away and came back maybe later that day... or even a day or two later. I held tight to the belief that it will be worth it.

Here is my advice...... Upon re-organizing, I realized that I had tons of fabric in multiple tubs that I never opened. The old addage.... "out of sight out of mind" became real to me. I had fabric that I completely forgot about. Enough of this!!!

I scoped a plan to make my place MY refuge.... a place where I would enjoy being. I painted the walls a cheery yellow. Bought bookcases so that I could store my fabric and be able to easily see exactly what I had. Not only do I have quilt fabric, I also have garment and upholstery fabric. My notions, cutting tools, rulers, thread, etc. all have a specific place. It is HEAVENLY!!! I love it and can truly enjoy working on my projects.

I encourage you to scope out ways to organize and pick what will work best for you. btw.... my sewing, cutting and ironing table is a very large door on two (2 drawer) filing cabinets. It is ideal for me. It is large enough to have each of those stations within reach of one another and I keep the critical/must have items in the filing cabinets.

Think outside the box. There are many, many options and ideas out there on the web and on this QB.

Good luck! Keep on keepin' on sister!