Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ready to cry over my quilting clutter! >

Ready to cry over my quilting clutter!

Ready to cry over my quilting clutter!

Old 03-02-2011, 02:43 PM

I have spent the last two hours working on my former sewing area (in my laundry room) and don't feel like I made a dent. A few months ago, the mess actually forced me out into my dining room so I could sew without cleaning off my machine each time, but now the dining room is getting messy too because I keep pulling stuff out of my laundry room to work on and don't want to just dump it back into the room when I am done.

I think I am too messy to be a quilter.

I am feeling overwhelmed. I have a room downstairs where I keep a lot of my fabric and my mid-arm frame, but it doesn't have enough room for my machines, so I keep bringing fabric up to use. Lately, I am buying more fabric and notions because I get tired of looking through a mess to find something. I need to hire a professional organizer if I am going to keep quilting because the mess is driving me NUTS and I am not a naturally organized person, but once I get organized, I seem to be able to stay that way for quite a while.

Does anyone else get that overwhelmed feeling about their quilting spaces? (Or lack of it?) Am I the only one who loses their notions and what-nots in a clutter?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:49 PM

Mercy, my sewing things are nomadic, too. I know some are in the living room, some in the guest bedroom and yet more in the hall closet. The room picked out for my sewing space needs put together but I never seem to have the time, the energy, and the husband's muscles at the same time to help me get that done. So for now if I need something I have to check around - or buy a new one!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

No, you are not alone. I try and have a party at least quarterly at my house. Then I have to clean!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM

You know, have you thought about taking out one box at a time and separating it into fabric, and notions? Just two piles. And then you can choose to divide up THOSE piles some other time, but at least then all of your notions are together and all of your fabric is together...somewhere else.

I think that's how I would tackle it.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM

You and I are complete opposites LOL!! I over-organize everything--I'm very anal. I put things away and then I can't find them so I go and buy another of the exact same thing. I'm kidding--I really do know where everything is and have to put everything in its exact place when I'm done. My sewing room is upstairs so no one sees it but I still have to have it totally cleaned up or I can't function. I'm like that in all aspects of my life---cannot work/function in clutter.
I think that is good advice. Each day take one box or one section of your area and just concentrate on that until it's complete. Good luck---
Old 03-02-2011, 02:52 PM

If my sewing room gets messy, it drives me crazy and I won't do anything until I get it cleaned up again. At the end of every day I put things where they belong so that I don't walk into a mess the next day. When I set up my room I took everything that I used and separated them according to categories: rulers with rulers, pins with pins, etc. Then I bought a few vinyl drawers and the things I saved I put in drawers according to category. Everything I use is in this room, I don't have it scattered throughout the house. If I had extras I decided whether I'd keep it or donate it to a quilting friend, Goodwill, etc. I think the most important thing for me is the straightening the room at the end of the day. Surely wish I could help you get it cleaned and organized!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:53 PM

" my sewing things are nomadic"

LMBO!!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM

maybe you need a quilting buddy to help you. Find someone is in your same situation and help each other out. sounds like once it's done you will be much happier.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by quilterjody
maybe you need a quilting buddy to help you. Find someone is in your same situation and help each other out. sounds like once it's done you will be much happier.
This isn't a bad idea, sometimes we do better organizing someone else's things, if you could just find someone to trade with.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:59 PM

I wish I still lived in Highlands Ranch, 'cause I love organizing and would see that as a fun challenge.

:-( :-( :-( Sorry I can't help you.