View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Katia

I actually enjoy organizing. I watch those cleaning shows on TV, and I just want to get in there and fix it all up for them. Not the nasty hoarder type ones, but the ones where people just have too much stuff.

I have actually done it for a lady a few times, and it was very fun.

I mostly use the same method that I see on Clean House. I have always cleaned this way. What I do is clear an area. You then need some boxes or soda flats or bins, whatever. You also need a trash bin. And a charity or sell bin, or maybe both. I then pick a side of the room and start sorting. I work my way around the room.

After I get to the place where there is not a bunch left the bins and boxes need to go out of the room. That way you can finish cleaning. Scrub, vacuum, even paint if you want. But remember you also need to clean out all the furniture in the room. All the drawers and shelves have to be cleared.

After that is done you need to decide where you want stuff to go. That is really the fun part. Bring in the sewing machines if that is the kind of room you are doing and then arrange the stuff so that it makes sense to you. I would not worry about getting the fabric folded and sorted till you are done with most everything else. That job is time consuming and will distract you from doing the other stuff you need to do.

If you are working in a small room and don't have a place to set out the sorting bins then I would just have bins for stuff, and a bin for garbage. Maybe a bin for stuff to get rid of, that is not trash. And move the bins out of the room as they are filled so they are out of your way. The rest of my procedure is the same. Just that you will be sorting your stuff into a clean room.

Hopefully, once this is done you will never have to do a full unload and reload type cleaning again. We just did this whole routine to my husbands shop. It was a disater with boxes of stuff all over. Anytime he wanted to do a project he had to go buy new stuff, even though he knew he already had it. I found some nice cabinets at a yard sale a month or so ago and we wanted to get them installed. So we got all eight of them in and everything back in place. I was amazed at how many things we found in there. We used a lot of plastic shoe boxes and small bins to store stuff in. So now he has an area with all his wood working stuff and another area with his automotive tools and that sort of stuff. And another area with a table and cabinets for his gun and bow stuff. Oh and a project, UFO) area. He loves it, but I told him he had best keep it nice.

I also seldom do things in small time slots like was suggested. When I get started I hate to stop. I know I should, but when I am on a roll, and in the mood I have to get it done.

My little sewing room is far from as organized and neat as I would like it at the moment. But we are moving it all to a larger room soon. First we are redoing the floors and painting, so I am looking forward to doing that. Not the floors and painting, but the getting everything reorganized.