View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 10:50 AM
laffygiraffe

Don't cry, toss.
About 2 months ago. I made a New Year's Resolution to get my sewing area cleaned up.
Over a 3-day weekend, I took absolutely everything last thing out of the room and piled it in the dining room---fabric on one side, notions on the other, patterns over there, jewelry-making under the table, projects half-done in a big box, granddaughter's toy box out back. NOBODY dared help me.
I let the room (and I) breathe for the whole morning. I sat in an empty room, drank coffee and dreamed about what I would do in there and how it should look. I took all the pictures down.
First, I put the sewing machine back where I wanted it, then stopped and walked around. I moved it a couple of times, and then the ironing table, since I sew, press, sew, press. I decided fabric inspired me and it should be out in the open and not boxed away, so I stacked it- Neatly-like colors together-in open shelves, only full yards. Scraps went in clear boxes by color. I put up a 36 X 36 cork bulletin board on the wall behind my machine for pictures and stray items.
I didn't buy a single thing to use to sort or hold anything and ended up removing a table and a small cabinet.
To make a long story short, I ended up with a well-organized room and could find a pair of scissors (I had 12 pairs) in the dark, and a dozen or more stacks and boxes left in the dining room.
I went through every single scrap while watching tv with the family, putting like with like until I had enough in the room. When I got to 10 crochet hooks, I gave 8 away. Kept 2, since I might crochet and teach again.
Nothing was returned to the room without being sorted and folded and mostly discarded.
Three giant garbage bags full of scraps (mostly non-cotton) and notions, seam tape and doo dads went to a local quilt group. 40 spools of thread! I do not collect thread. I quilt with white/cream thread. Don't you?
I had 5 pincushions. Why does one need 5? I do not collect pincushions, do you?
I quilt. Don't you?
I picked my fave 2 and gave the rest away. I threw away stained, smelly, broken stuff and had 2 big bags to the compost heap or trash.(Cotton recycles in the garden and the birds love it for nesting.) Old thread rots--don't use it.
Now, I can go sit right down and sew, and not have to dig for 20 minutes to get started.
I know what my next 5 projects are going to be---since they are in the que in neat, zippered bags, in a small, wire cabinet beside my iron table, waiting.
A clear plastic shoe box that has pins, scissors, thimbles, beeswax, and a couple of spools of thread is portable to sew with while watching tv, then back it goes in the sewing room at night.
When I want a break from sewing, I iron rumpled fabric for the next project.
It took me less than 2 1/2 days to get my LIFE sorted out. I even have a spot cleared off for my laptop computer and writing supplies, since I write, too.
You deserve it, so spend the time on yourself, and anyone who comes to bother you, put them to work sorting. They will disappear.
Watch "Enough Already!" on OWN for inspiration.Good luck! :P