Thread: Beginner quilt
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Lori S

A log cabin is often used as a beginner project. Even though I have been quilting for .... 40 years I still like to make them. The basic block has so many options for final design it is a popular quilt for beginners and experienced quilters.
A few pointers to make your first a success. Do starch the fabric. I can not stress this enough. Since it is a block that continues to build , accuracy is important as the block continues to get bigger as you add pieces. A 1/4 inch foot is one of the most valuable tools you can have for this block. Some log cabins work with strips as small as one inch. For your first , I think you would get bored with such small strips. Work with a larger strip.
Keep your blocks organized so when you pick up one its always orientated the same way as it goes through the machine.
I prefer the press each seam after completing a new strip set. It helps keep the project flat as you are working on it, plus its just fun to iron and admire the way the block is starting to look.
If you want the project to go quickly , make the center square ( the only real square in the whole project ) bigger! use a 3 inch or even 3 1/2 inch center.
Start with scraps, log cabin really lends itself to using alot of scraps. You also won;t feel so bad if you decide to move onto something else while working on it.