Old 03-04-2011, 10:45 PM
jpthequilter

Depends....I saw a delightful chicken block ,that had "crumb" feathers....Otherwise I have seen some "crumb" projects I couldn't figure out.
It seems to me that there is an enormous variation in the sizes of the crumbs and how they are used/applied.
If I am faced with buckets of scraps, I take them (on a day nothing else is going right) and sort them to color only. Using at least a dozen plastic bags propped open or clipped to the edges of bins with clothespins, disregard size,pop each piece in with its color companions. Like greens for instance , any almost all shades of green goes in. florals. plaids, multicolor stripes, cartoon prints. anything distinct gets its own bag.-maybe two dozen or even more bags?
I like appliques, so bags of greens are a treasure for me!
Seeing all the different fabrics is calming for me...puts me in a good mood!
IF I want to make a scrappy project, like a scrappy star quilt, I count the number of stars I want and for each star, I take nine pieces out of each color bag,( for the eight points of the star plus one.) and cut them to pattern size and throw them in a paper bag or a box and mix them all up, and sew away!
Maybe for christmas I would like all red and magenta and purple stars? maybe for easter I would like pinks and yellows and white for eggs? or bunnies feet and ears?
That is why I sort them...
and it is fun - banishes all the wonky sewing blues!