Thread: Beginner quilt
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Wunder-Mar

Originally Posted by incoming2me
Eleanor Burns has a great "Quilt in a Day" book on Log Cabins.
I'd definitely recommend it for anyone!
My first quilting class was for a log cabin quilt and learned the "old fashioned" method of cutting piles and piles of different length strips to sew together.

Then I bought Eleanor Burns' book on Log Cabins, and her method accomplished the same (better!) results with a lot less cutting and stacking heartburn. I strongly recommend buying one of her log cabin quilt books because you not only learn the simpler method, BUT Eleanor generously shows different layouts for different sized log cabin quilts just to show you how versatile this easy block is and how to achieve different looks just from layout choice alone. As far as quilting books go - and face it, they're expensive! starting out - you get a tremendous bang for your buck with this book.

I'd also a very vocal advocate for beginner's to check out book on Amazon.com and THEN - before ordering anything - go to their local library and request those books through interlibrary loan. It costs nothing, you can really examine and test the book BEFORE laying out any purchase money.