Old 03-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Tropical

I tried her basting with the boards technique this weekend. It didn't work for me because the boards were too heavy and awkward for my hands and wrists - carpal tunnel and arthritis. I kept at it until I had basted the whole baby quilt. It took me two days with several breaks because of the pain. When I was finished, I turned it over to check the backing and it had lots of ripples and a few creases in it. I couldn't get the fabric wrapped tight enough and each time I moved the boards, the fabric slipped loose even more. I'll be taking it all out. I'll save and reuse the cotton pearle thread. If anyone has any other ideas for this method, please let me know. Thanks. :)

So I am going to try an adaptation to her method. My DH thought of the noodles that are used for swimming to wrap the fabric on and brought home three of them from work today. I figure my hand weights or foil wrapped clean bricks should work to hold the area I will be basting tight enough. I can lift those one at a time and not have to move the entire board at once. I'll have to wait until the noodles have a chance to air out because they smell strongly fragrant. It will be a while. I'll let you know how it works out. :)