Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sharon Schamber basting technique didn't work for me. >

Sharon Schamber basting technique didn't work for me.

Sharon Schamber basting technique didn't work for me.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:52 PM

I tried her basting with the boards technique this weekend. It didn't work for me because the boards were too heavy and awkward for my hands and wrists - carpal tunnel and arthritis. I kept at it until I had basted the whole baby quilt. It took me two days with several breaks because of the pain. When I was finished, I turned it over to check the backing and it had lots of ripples and a few creases in it. I couldn't get the fabric wrapped tight enough and each time I moved the boards, the fabric slipped loose even more. I'll be taking it all out. I'll save and reuse the cotton pearle thread. If anyone has any other ideas for this method, please let me know. Thanks. :)

So I am going to try an adaptation to her method. My DH thought of the noodles that are used for swimming to wrap the fabric on and brought home three of them from work today. I figure my hand weights or foil wrapped clean bricks should work to hold the area I will be basting tight enough. I can lift those one at a time and not have to move the entire board at once. I'll have to wait until the noodles have a chance to air out because they smell strongly fragrant. It will be a while. I'll let you know how it works out. :)
Old 03-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Sorry, the last line of the first paragraph is supposed to be at the end of the second paragraph. My cursor is always jumping around on me. :)
Old 03-06-2011, 05:59 PM
MTS
Banned

I think the noodles "might" work if you have someone turning the other end. I think they're too flimsy to turn smoothly by yourself and get a smooth, even basted quilt.

You know, what Sharon doesn't show on those videos - and I love them - is actually working on a larger quilt. She's working on wall-hanging size quilt which won't have the same issues of a larger quilt.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:05 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS
I think the noodles "might" work if you have someone turning the other end. I think they're too flimsy to turn smoothly by yourself and get a smooth, even basted quilt.

You know, what Sharon doesn't show on those videos - and I love them - is actually working on a larger quilt. She's working on wall-hanging size quilt which won't have the same issues of a larger quilt.
So, I bought the boards to try this on a large quilt. Does the method work on a large quilt?
Old 03-06-2011, 06:06 PM

Have you ever had a Long Arm quilter just do the quickie basting of your
projects? Can be done in a couple of hours, and backing and batting
lay nice and flat .... ready for you to handquilt in a hoop or other frame.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:09 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by np3
So, I bought the boards to try this on a large quilt. Does the method work on a large quilt?
Sure, but the OP had hand issues, and the boards were too heavy for.
I suppose you could do it yourself, but on a larger quilt, if you've got someone around to help turn the boards with you to keep them as taut as possible, even better.
I'm sure Gene makes a visit to Sharon's studio when she's working. ;) ;)
Old 03-06-2011, 06:14 PM
np3
Power Poster

I can get someone to work with me. I was thinking I would put two tables together instead of trying the floor.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:20 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by np3
I can get someone to work with me. I was thinking I would put two tables together instead of trying the floor.
Your back thanks you in advance. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Old 03-06-2011, 06:23 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by np3
Your back thanks you in advance. :wink: :wink: :wink:
That too! I was thinking that it would make a better surface for the needle to hit. I'm going to try it on an oversized queen top.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:02 PM

The "noodles" might be too flimsy by themselves, but what if you ran a length of pvc pipe thru the center of them?