Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sharon Schamber basting technique didn't work for me. >

Sharon Schamber basting technique didn't work for me.

Sharon Schamber basting technique didn't work for me.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:09 PM

or pvc boards
Old 03-06-2011, 07:36 PM

I can see how the board would be a problem. I've also read that some had
problems with their larger quilts using the boards. I've watched Sharon's
video then adapted it to my needs. I use two banquet tables and clamp the
backing with the big bulldog clips...make sure everything is smoothed out
and taught. Then do the same for the batting and finally for the top. Then
baste away. Even if the table is not big enough I can move the sandwich
after I've basted the middle. Just make sure everything is smoothed out and
taught when you re-clip. I also prefer to baste with shorter stitches and a
little closer than what Sharon says.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Tilladare
The "noodles" might be too flimsy by themselves, but what if you ran a length of pvc pipe thru the center of them?
I think the fact that they're round works against them, even if they are stiffer, unless they're up against a wall. The shape of the separate pieces taut until they can be basted together.

Although, not quite related, I have a friend who stores her quilts that way - pvs pipe inside noodle, wrapped in batting and muslin. She rolls the quilt around, and then made a covering out of Tyvek to put over the whole thing. She has antique quilts, and her own quite gorgeous masterpieces. It's a pretty neat idea, and doesn't take up much room in the closet.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by np3
Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by np3
I can get someone to work with me. I was thinking I would put two tables together instead of trying the floor.
Your back thanks you in advance. :wink: :wink: :wink:
That too! I was thinking that it would make a better surface for the needle to hit. I'm going to try it on an oversized queen top.

I plan on using two tables side by side when I baste a king size top. I also like the comments about using small pvc pipe inside of the noodles.

Tropical I've sent you a PM regarding this thread.

Pam M
Old 03-06-2011, 08:07 PM

Tropical, I tape mine to the floor(linoleum) and have basted before , but now I just pin. works great, no bunching or moving. Does require some pillows to sit on though :lol:
Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 PM

Thank you so much for all of your replys. The boards I tried were pvc boards because they are so smooth and wouldn't snag my fabric. They are heavy though.

My DH bought the super sized noodles which are 3 1/4 inches across and 11 inches around. He is going to put wooden dowels inside them to make them sturdier if needed. He will also shave off one side to make them flat if they aren't sturdy enough. I am using two tables put together which equal 72 inches long and 59 inches wide. They are raised on pvc pipes to a perfect height for me. I can't work on the floor because of my osteoporosis and arthritis. I have so many things wrong with me, I'm a mess. lol I get by with the help of my loving DH.

I am going to use smaller stitches when I redo the basting because they seem too loose and far apart to me at Sharon's recommended size. If this doesn't work, I will try EasyPeezy's method, but I will have to use clamps because the edges of my tables are 2 inches wide.

I am learning from the great quilter's on this board that if there is a will, there is a way with a little help from friends. Thanks, again. :)
Old 03-07-2011, 12:14 AM

I have used her technique on queen-size quilts, but my boards are large enough for king. I covered my boards with flannel so that the fabric had something to cling to without slipping. I also heavily starched the back and the front. (Heavy spray starch with 3-4 applications.) I also did the tailer tack basting closer together so that it would hold better (for hand quilting which takes me "forever" to do) Sharon also mentioned that you could use this technique and pin baste rather than thread baste. You are right in that the boards are heavy (at least mine are) and hard to shift with a large quilt. It would probably work better being done with two people to turn the boards. I do like the fact that you can do a little - take a break - and come back to it without having any of the layers shift. Am interested in knowing how your modified method works out.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:39 AM

I see one problem with using the noodles. When you are doing the basting, you have the boards which are flat and will lay better than having the two round noodles which may give you a few problems. Anxious to hear how it works for you. One other thing you might try is using lighter pieces of wood like pine. I wonder about using foamboard insulation. If you have somebody that could cut it 4-6" wide for you.That comes in up to 2" thick, 8' long pieces. I haven't tried it but it would lay flat and it wouldn't be as heavy as the wood boards. If you go to a store like Lowes, they could probably tell you what's available like that and cut it for you. Good luck!