View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 08:52 PM
jaciqltznok
Banned

Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Our economy would never be able to support that.
However, my wholesale costs went up in Jan, and are now $5.00 for the very lowest solid fabrics and up to $8.00 for top name prints....that is wholesale!
Can I ask what those $5 & $8 prices are retail then?
I agree, our economy can't support this big a jump if it was true to the $27, I believe it would put a lot of independent quilt shops out of business, they couldn't compete with big buying chains. But I also agree, unfortunately, my pocket book can't afford big prices either, and would look toward coupons like mentioned in the previous post, about JoAnn's. I also never thought about it, but maybe I should stock up on threads, batting & backing basic fabrics. We tend to buy beautiful fabric's at a whim to add to our stash, and at least I neglect to consider the batting & backs, to finish them. I have hundreds of patterns, and fabric I could sew 30 yrs before I saw the bottom of my supply...but could I finish them, and afford to??? I would like to know what your retail prices are after these wholesale prices, if you could share it. I hope quilt shops can stay open, we have few to choose from in my state as it is, and I love the "fancier" fabrics we can find at these shops vs chain outlets. Debbie
those wholesale prices are no longer 50% of the suggested MSRP but more like only 35% now...so quilt shops have to really stick close to the MSRP to get any money out of their inventory. that means NO sales... SOlids are running about $7.00 per yard now and top prints are at about $ 12.50 retail. of course a shop can charge what they want...and most are going over the MSRP these days so that they can offer SALES...which brings in customers..who do not know that the 25% off sale is really FULL price!