Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Fabric Prices Rising????

  1. #1
    community benefactor stevendebbie25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washburn, North Dakota
    Posts
    295
    I was talking with a friend, who just informed me that fabric prices that are currently $9-$12/yd, could be rising to as much as $27/yd! Has anyone heard prices will be jumping? Heard an idea how much an avg yard? Any explaination as to why? I know price of gas is speculated to be about $5/gal by summer, which means fuel surcharge on shipping for everything. Crops have failed and prices are already climbing in grocery stores. Wendy's has a sign out that tomato's are much higher, if you want a slice on the burger it will cost more. Our daughter works in a grocery, and lettuce and tomato's have climbed more than 3x higher than a month ago. So, so we hurry and buy for our fabric stash now? Or do we retreat to using from our fabric stash and count our blessings for having it now?
    Or is this just a horrible rumor? Hope someone has honest truth to share with us. I know the economy will be getting worse yet before we see recovery, but this is a huge price jump in fabric if this has any truth to it, hope not. Debbie

  2. #2
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    I don't know. But even though I just bought a whole roll of cotton batting in January, I decided to buy another whole roll today with my 50% off JoAnns coupon just in case. I have fabric a plenty to hold me for a while if it comes to that but I would need more batting to continue my quilting. I don't want to have to quilt giving quilts away just because I can't afford to put batting in them!!

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Our economy would never be able to support that.
    However, my wholesale costs went up in Jan, and are now $5.00 for the very lowest solid fabrics and up to $8.00 for top name prints....that is wholesale!

  4. #4
    Super Member Lilrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    4,239
    I know fabric prices are going up, but had not heard about any jump that drastic. Heard there was a cotton shortage. Oh well, guess we will all be forced to use our stashes

  5. #5
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    Wow, that would be terrible. And I think $10.00 is high!

  6. #6
    community benefactor stevendebbie25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washburn, North Dakota
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Our economy would never be able to support that.
    However, my wholesale costs went up in Jan, and are now $5.00 for the very lowest solid fabrics and up to $8.00 for top name prints....that is wholesale!
    Can I ask what those $5 & $8 prices are retail then?
    I agree, our economy can't support this big a jump if it was true to the $27, I believe it would put a lot of independent quilt shops out of business, they couldn't compete with big buying chains. But I also agree, unfortunately, my pocket book can't afford big prices either, and would look toward coupons like mentioned in the previous post, about JoAnn's. I also never thought about it, but maybe I should stock up on threads, batting & backing basic fabrics. We tend to buy beautiful fabric's at a whim to add to our stash, and at least I neglect to consider the batting & backs, to finish them. I have hundreds of patterns, and fabric I could sew 30 yrs before I saw the bottom of my supply...but could I finish them, and afford to??? I would like to know what your retail prices are after these wholesale prices, if you could share it. I hope quilt shops can stay open, we have few to choose from in my state as it is, and I love the "fancier" fabrics we can find at these shops vs chain outlets. Debbie

  7. #7
    rb.
    rb. is offline
    rb.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    northern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    234
    We were discussing this here a few weeks ago, as warnings had gone out from manufacturers and retailers. Fewer cotton crops, higher demand.

  8. #8
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I'm really concerned about food prices. For the first time in years DH and I are planting a good size garden. It's always been much cheaper to buy at local farmer's markets, he thinks that won't be the case this year. I pulled out my pressure canner, had it checked out, found my boxes of canning jars stored in the attic and I told my girls it was time they learned how to can this summer, want to or not.

  9. #9
    everybody's mother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staples, Mn
    Posts
    178
    Blog Entries
    2
    We may be forced to "repurpose" fabric like in olden days. I've been getting nice blankets at garage sales, thrift shops etc , wash them really well and using them for batting. Much cheaper and make very nice quilts. Maybe not for competitions, but for giving and using everyday. You can usually get them for just a little money also rou quilts can be pieced on both sides. Think about it as two for one. We have to start being a lot more practical. Double the pleasure, double the fun.

  10. #10
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    I am so affraid some of our LQS will close if it goes anywhere near those prices!

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Our economy would never be able to support that.
    However, my wholesale costs went up in Jan, and are now $5.00 for the very lowest solid fabrics and up to $8.00 for top name prints....that is wholesale!
    Can I ask what those $5 & $8 prices are retail then?
    I agree, our economy can't support this big a jump if it was true to the $27, I believe it would put a lot of independent quilt shops out of business, they couldn't compete with big buying chains. But I also agree, unfortunately, my pocket book can't afford big prices either, and would look toward coupons like mentioned in the previous post, about JoAnn's. I also never thought about it, but maybe I should stock up on threads, batting & backing basic fabrics. We tend to buy beautiful fabric's at a whim to add to our stash, and at least I neglect to consider the batting & backs, to finish them. I have hundreds of patterns, and fabric I could sew 30 yrs before I saw the bottom of my supply...but could I finish them, and afford to??? I would like to know what your retail prices are after these wholesale prices, if you could share it. I hope quilt shops can stay open, we have few to choose from in my state as it is, and I love the "fancier" fabrics we can find at these shops vs chain outlets. Debbie
    those wholesale prices are no longer 50% of the suggested MSRP but more like only 35% now...so quilt shops have to really stick close to the MSRP to get any money out of their inventory. that means NO sales... SOlids are running about $7.00 per yard now and top prints are at about $ 12.50 retail. of course a shop can charge what they want...and most are going over the MSRP these days so that they can offer SALES...which brings in customers..who do not know that the 25% off sale is really FULL price!

  12. #12
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    BellaBoo, me, too. I am also trying to buy a few extra food items every week. Tuna is 3 for a dollar this week, I aleady bought 30 of them, always a cheap protien.

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mabank, Texas
    Posts
    8,280
    Oh my. I have not considered building a stash of backing, thread or batting. Better get with it or I'll end up with a stack of pieced tops and no batting or fabric to use for backing. Thank you for calling this to my attention.

  14. #14
    Super Member crafty_linda_b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Posts
    1,573
    I noticed the other day that Joann's FQ's are now $2.49...less than a year ago they were only 99 cents...so they have almost tripled in price..the online ones are priced at $2.99 now..so they are climbing...
    I too used to can...I have tons of jars and am thinking I will be doing so again. ..DH wants to put in a garden. We have lots of room to do so..we live on 80 acres of land..BUT the critters are going to be the big factor for us...keeping them out of it..time will tell...

  15. #15
    Super Member javin22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,649
    If it goes that high, I will not be sewing anymore. :(

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I'm really concerned about food prices. For the first time in years DH and I are planting a good size garden. It's always been much cheaper to buy at local farmer's markets, he thinks that won't be the case this year. I pulled out my pressure canner, had it checked out, found my boxes of canning jars stored in the attic and I told my girls it was time they learned how to can this summer, want to or not.
    if you have a county extension office contact them about you need to can and what you don't...lots of things do NOT need to be pressure canned!

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    I am so affraid some of our LQS will close if it goes anywhere near those prices!
    it is estimated that one in 3 will close before the end of this year..that is up from 1 in 10 two years ago!

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
    I noticed the other day that Joann's FQ's are now $2.49...less than a year ago they were only 99 cents...so they have almost tripled in price..the online ones are priced at $2.99 now..so they are climbing...
    I too used to can...I have tons of jars and am thinking I will be doing so again. ..DH wants to put in a garden. We have lots of room to do so..we live on 80 acres of land..BUT the critters are going to be the big factor for us...keeping them out of it..time will tell...
    and the quality of the Joann fabric is really bad....worst than walmarts used to be

  19. #19
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    Javin22, you could always get thrift store clothes, or even hand me downs from others to sew. I even do that now!

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
    I noticed the other day that Joann's FQ's are now $2.49...less than a year ago they were only 99 cents...so they have almost tripled in price..the online ones are priced at $2.99 now..so they are climbing...
    I too used to can...I have tons of jars and am thinking I will be doing so again. ..DH wants to put in a garden. We have lots of room to do so..we live on 80 acres of land..BUT the critters are going to be the big factor for us...keeping them out of it..time will tell...
    gardening is not cheap or easy....GOOD seed that is heirloom or organic and NOT a Monsanto GMO is harder to get these days and they are spendy...BUT if you buy Burpee, the other box store seeds you will get seeds that are from lab created veggies...sprayed with so many chemicals it barely resembles food when you are done....

    do some reading here
    http://www.rareseeds.com
    just search Monsanto and you will be get a real eye opener as to what is happening to our food resources....

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maine-ly Florida
    Posts
    3,521
    This will have such a ripple effect. I was thinking the other day about people who make things from cloth to sell at craft fairs. The general public is not going to be aware of how much fabric has gone up...and is probably not going to understand the reflection of that in the prices.

  22. #22
    Super Member DebsShelties's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,856
    Blog Entries
    1
    $27 seems too high, my guess is that many places would be shutting down as to lack of sales.
    I know some have raised prices $2 - $3 per yard, with the price of wholesale going up, that was reasonable.
    $27? That would be a death wish on any shop!

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,084
    agreed :)
    Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    This will have such a ripple effect. I was thinking the other day about people who make things from cloth to sell at craft fairs. The general public is not going to be aware of how much fabric has gone up...and is probably not going to understand the reflection of that in the prices.

  24. #24
    Super Member DebsShelties's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,856
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I'm really concerned about food prices. For the first time in years DH and I are planting a good size garden. It's always been much cheaper to buy at local farmer's markets, he thinks that won't be the case this year. I pulled out my pressure canner, had it checked out, found my boxes of canning jars stored in the attic and I told my girls it was time they learned how to can this summer, want to or not.
    if you have a county extension office contact them about you need to can and what you don't...lots of things do NOT need to be pressure canned!
    I keep dry beans, dry pasta in mason jars.

  25. #25
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    Every year I stock up battings at JoAnn after Thanksgiving sale they always have batting 50 percent off and then an additional 20 percent off every thing coupon. At 50 percent the queen size battings of Warm and Natural are about $10.00 so the extra 20 makes it well worth my while.. and I end up with a cart full.
    Well a few weeks ago they had battings again on sale for 50 percent off and the same warm and natural batting was now $16.50 .... with the 50 percent discount. The effects are being felt ... we just do not know exactly how high and when it will stop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.