Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices Rising???? >

Fabric Prices Rising????

Fabric Prices Rising????

Old 03-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Our economy would never be able to support that.
However, my wholesale costs went up in Jan, and are now $5.00 for the very lowest solid fabrics and up to $8.00 for top name prints....that is wholesale!
Can I ask what those $5 & $8 prices are retail then?
I agree, our economy can't support this big a jump if it was true to the $27, I believe it would put a lot of independent quilt shops out of business, they couldn't compete with big buying chains. But I also agree, unfortunately, my pocket book can't afford big prices either, and would look toward coupons like mentioned in the previous post, about JoAnn's. I also never thought about it, but maybe I should stock up on threads, batting & backing basic fabrics. We tend to buy beautiful fabric's at a whim to add to our stash, and at least I neglect to consider the batting & backs, to finish them. I have hundreds of patterns, and fabric I could sew 30 yrs before I saw the bottom of my supply...but could I finish them, and afford to??? I would like to know what your retail prices are after these wholesale prices, if you could share it. I hope quilt shops can stay open, we have few to choose from in my state as it is, and I love the "fancier" fabrics we can find at these shops vs chain outlets. Debbie
those wholesale prices are no longer 50% of the suggested MSRP but more like only 35% now...so quilt shops have to really stick close to the MSRP to get any money out of their inventory. that means NO sales... SOlids are running about $7.00 per yard now and top prints are at about $ 12.50 retail. of course a shop can charge what they want...and most are going over the MSRP these days so that they can offer SALES...which brings in customers..who do not know that the 25% off sale is really FULL price!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Power Poster

BellaBoo, me, too. I am also trying to buy a few extra food items every week. Tuna is 3 for a dollar this week, I aleady bought 30 of them, always a cheap protien.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:12 PM

Oh my. I have not considered building a stash of backing, thread or batting. Better get with it or I'll end up with a stack of pieced tops and no batting or fabric to use for backing. Thank you for calling this to my attention.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:19 PM

I noticed the other day that Joann's FQ's are now $2.49...less than a year ago they were only 99 cents...so they have almost tripled in price..the online ones are priced at $2.99 now..so they are climbing...
I too used to can...I have tons of jars and am thinking I will be doing so again. ..DH wants to put in a garden. We have lots of room to do so..we live on 80 acres of land..BUT the critters are going to be the big factor for us...keeping them out of it..time will tell...
Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 PM

If it goes that high, I will not be sewing anymore. :(
Old 03-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I'm really concerned about food prices. For the first time in years DH and I are planting a good size garden. It's always been much cheaper to buy at local farmer's markets, he thinks that won't be the case this year. I pulled out my pressure canner, had it checked out, found my boxes of canning jars stored in the attic and I told my girls it was time they learned how to can this summer, want to or not.
if you have a county extension office contact them about you need to can and what you don't...lots of things do NOT need to be pressure canned!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I am so affraid some of our LQS will close if it goes anywhere near those prices!
it is estimated that one in 3 will close before the end of this year..that is up from 1 in 10 two years ago!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
I noticed the other day that Joann's FQ's are now $2.49...less than a year ago they were only 99 cents...so they have almost tripled in price..the online ones are priced at $2.99 now..so they are climbing...
I too used to can...I have tons of jars and am thinking I will be doing so again. ..DH wants to put in a garden. We have lots of room to do so..we live on 80 acres of land..BUT the critters are going to be the big factor for us...keeping them out of it..time will tell...
and the quality of the Joann fabric is really bad....worst than walmarts used to be
Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Power Poster

Javin22, you could always get thrift store clothes, or even hand me downs from others to sew. I even do that now!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
gardening is not cheap or easy....GOOD seed that is heirloom or organic and NOT a Monsanto GMO is harder to get these days and they are spendy...BUT if you buy Burpee, the other box store seeds you will get seeds that are from lab created veggies...sprayed with so many chemicals it barely resembles food when you are done....

do some reading here
http://www.rareseeds.com
just search Monsanto and you will be get a real eye opener as to what is happening to our food resources....