Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Prices for quilt fabric rising again?

I just got back from my LQS and one employee told me that quilt fabric just rose another 30% last month. I could not tell it from the prices in the store. Most fabric prices there were between $8.99 and $10.00. I understand this shop owner does not raise the price of existing fabric in the shop, but when new fabric comes in, she has to mark it with the new raise in price.

Stock up when you can! Pretty soon we will know how it felt "back in the days" when our grand parents & great grand parents had to make due. I already hit the thrift stores for fabric & clothes to take apart to use for fabric. Im afraid we have become spoiled, and now with the way things are, we are going to be forced to either cut back, make due or work more over time.

Most of the shops out here are over $10 a yard and some are up to $11.99.

I do not like shops that mark old stuff up to the newer prices and claim that shipping costs are forcing them to do it. If something has been in their shop for 2 years, it should be less.

However, it is their business and my friends and I just do not buy from them like we used to.

Here in Bellingham we have a couple shops that still have fabrics under $9 a yard. I shop sales only. I like $6 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee
    I just got back from my LQS and one employee told me that quilt fabric just rose another 30% last month. I could not tell it from the prices in the store. Most fabric prices there were between $8.99 and $10.00. I understand this shop owner does not raise the price of existing fabric in the shop, but when new fabric comes in, she has to mark it with the new raise in price.

Blog Entries
    Boy by the looks of it we will have to get creative on where to find the best buys. If we do not buy they will have to come down on prices.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
    Boy by the looks of it we will have to get creative on where to find the best buys. If we do not buy they will have to come down on prices.
    The price of everything goes up, it's a simple fact of life. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. Easy to do for fabric, not so easy for electricity.

I'd be willing to bet that a 'fabric boycott' has a zero percent chance of ever driving prices down, though it may force manufacturers to close, people to lose their jobs, and the supply of available goods to shrink...thus driving the price up, not down, until the market dies. :(

Luckily, there is a store near me that still has most of its fabric priced at approx. $7.50, with sales in the $4.50 range. I also have enough stash to last me for many years, if necessary, thank goodness ;-)

I'm also wondering how the increases in cotton prices are going to translate to RTW.

I feel badly for the LQS as well. I'm sure the increase in prices will lower their sales.

I think we may all need to move to Arizona!

Quote Originally Posted by akrogirl
    Luckily, there is a store near me that still has most of its fabric priced at approx. $7.50, with sales in the $4.50 range. I also have enough stash to last me for many years, if necessary, thank goodness ;-)

I'm also wondering how the increases in cotton prices are going to translate to RTW.
    :-D

I can see prices going up at the fabric store I shop at and yet Connecting Threads lowered their prices. It doesn't make sense to me.

I really think it is the fact that we can purchase our fabrics on-line (with often better selections, better pricing, and occasionally free shipping) that is driving the cost of fabric up at our LQS. They have to charge more because they have so much overhead. I only shop when I need something quickly and cannot wait for it in the mail. Otherwise, I shop on-line. It is convenient and less expensive. The quilt stores really need to promote classes to boost sales.

You know, you are right! Why can Connecting Threads lower their prices while others raise theirs? Perhaps Connecting Threads' sales are up and with greater volume, comes lower pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    I can see prices going up at the fabric store I shop at and yet Connecting Threads lowered their prices. It doesn't make sense to me.

Two weeks ago on vacation in Vermont I discovered two way-above-average quilt/fabric shops. It would have been rude not to pull into their driveways, wouldn't it, so I gave each a good checking out. And HAD to buy a souveneir in each also. The first, WATERWHEEL HOUSE QUILT SHOP (Route 100, Londenderry VT) had some new fabrics priced at $11 and $11.25/yard. Beautiful fabrics, things I'd never seen before. It was a quick stop so didn't explore too much and don't know how prices were in general. A few days later I passed QUILTED TREASURES (Route 11, Chester VT), also a very worthwhile stop. Rooms and rooms of fabric. Again it was quick and I purchased some cheater panels and things I saw on display, no yardage, so don't know how the prices were.

A third quilt shop visit was to old standby NORTON HOUSE in Wilmington, VT, still a good place for a quilter.

Looks like prices are indeed going up so like everyone else, unless it's a special purchase like a vacation take-home, I'll be much more careful with my $.

i would stock up.

when the prices went up the last time here the LQS raised the prices on every bolt in the store even though some of those bolts are from lines that came out 6 years ago.

the prices are now $8.99 for kona cotton, $11.99 for prints (Moda, Benartex, Hoffman, etc), and $14.99 for batiks.

Blog Entries
    Thank goodness for stash. Think I might finally use some.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i would stock up.

when the prices went up the last time here the LQS raised the prices on every bolt in the store even though some of those bolts are from lines that came out 6 years ago.

the prices are now $8.99 for kona cotton, $11.99 for prints (Moda, Benartex, Hoffman, etc), and $14.99 for batiks.
    Just 'cause a line came out 6 years ago, if the shop re-orders it (such as Kona cottons) you can be sure that they will be paying *today's* price for it, not what they used to pay for it 6 years ago.

That said... to go back to the original question, yes prices are going up, but no it isn't 30%! It been on the order of 10% or less, this year. The increases may not be over, but on the wholesale level we're talking increments of 25 cents per yard or less.

So don't anybody panic... at least, not yet!

Blog Entries
    In my area (right now the Bradenton, FL area) fabric prices at JoAnn's are going up much more, and much quicker, then they are at the LQSs I frequent. I can get beautiful batiks at several shops in the area for $9.75 - 10.75. JoAnne's is charging 12.00 per yard for batiks of much lower quality. I still have not seen a significant increase in LQS prices compared to the chain stores.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davis2se
    In my area (right now the Bradenton, FL area) fabric prices at JoAnn's are going up much more, and much quicker, then they are at the LQSs I frequent. I can get beautiful batiks at several shops in the area for $9.75 - 10.75. JoAnne's is charging 12.00 per yard for batiks of much lower quality. I still have not seen a significant increase in LQS prices compared to the chain stores.
    JoAnns plays games with their prices a LOT lately.

For instance... I recently saw a fabric on their calico wall. They have the retail price set at 9.99 / yard. Being in the business, I know what the wholesale price is: $3.55 / yard. And that's the price for an independent store; I'm sure the chains are able to negotiate a better deal.

So even when JoAnn's runs that fabric at 30% off, it's not really a deal, 'cause you're just paying the fair full retail price!

I noticed the prices on batiks at Joann's is really high! According to one post, their batiks really badly fade.

Quote Originally Posted by davis2se