Old 03-07-2011, 12:18 PM
ncredbird

I first saw a featherweight when a member of my quilt guild in Phoenix brought one to show and tell. I watched the paper and looked at yard sales for years thinking I would never find one. One day I spotted an ad in the paper for a yard sale the next day where a man had two of them for sale. I drove by his house and explained that I had been looking for one for a long time but that I had to work during the time of his sale and would he please consider selling one before the sale time. He invited me in and let me take my choice of machines. That was in 1995. I believe I paid about $200.00 for it but was glad to finally have one to call my own. It wasn't two weeks later that my daughter and I stopped at a yard sale that was on it's second day. My daughter said "Mom, is this the little sewing machine you have been looking for?" I'll be darned if she hadn't found a little white featherweight in the green and white case. The lady having the sale said she was the original owner and that her parents had purchased the machine for her when she went away to college. I couldn't believe that it had been out there the day before and no one had purchased it. I didn't have enough money in my purse to buy it so I told my daughter to sit on the machine and pull her skirt down over it so no one else would see it while I went to an ATM to get some money. I told the lady I was leaving her there for collateral. I swiftly drove down to the corner bank and withdrew a whole $30.00 to pay for it. That was the total price on that one. I found a little black one about 4 years ago at a yard sale also. My daughter has already spoken for the little white one when I am gone. I think she appreciates it for the story more than the machine but it will be hers someday.