Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: When and where did you get your Featherweight?

I got my Featherweight in 1965. It was my first electric machine. I'd been wishing for a new machine for a long time, but we just couldn't afford one. One day one of my co-workers told me that she had a machine she'd bought brand new several years earlier, had only used it once to hem some dish towels, and that she would sell it to me for $30.00. I jumped at that, and the next day she brought it to work with her. When I opened the case my heart fell. I'd never heard of a Featherweight -- it looked like a toy to me. I found myself wishing that I hadn't told her I'd buy it. But I took it home, and immediately discovered that I loved it. What a blessing that little machine has been. It was my only machine for over 20 years, and I used it a lot to make clothes for my kids and myself. I also took in sewing so that I could be a "stay-at-home" Mom. I've had 3 Singers since then, but that little Featherweight is still my favorite. It has never given one minute's trouble, and sews as good as new.

Is it a 1965? That is the year I was born and I wondered if they have Featherweights from that year cause I never see them.

Quote Originally Posted by countrycottage
    I got my Featherweight in 1965. It was my first electric machine. I'd been wishing for a new machine for a long time, but we just couldn't afford one. One day one of my co-workers told me that she had a machine she'd bought brand new several years earlier, had only used it once to hem some dish towels, and that she would sell it to me for $30.00. I jumped at that, and the next day she brought it to work with her. When I opened the case my heart fell. I'd never heard of a Featherweight -- it looked like a toy to me. I found myself wishing that I hadn't told her I'd buy it. But I took it home, and immediately discovered that I loved it. What a blessing that little machine has been. It was my only machine for over 20 years, and I used it a lot to make clothes for my kids and myself. I also took in sewing so that I could be a "stay-at-home" Mom. I've had 3 Singers since then, but that little Featherweight is still my favorite. It has never given one minute's trouble, and sews as good as new.

Blog Entries
    I got mine from my mom. She got it in 1957. We made all our clothes on it and she pieced a lot of quilts on it. She's gone now, but I still have the memories.

I got my first and second late last year (2010) within hours of each other. I got the first off CL, drove a few hours for it. Seller was the nephew/son of the original owners-sisters. Drove home and stopped at the Singer factory outlet a few blocks from my house, to look for bobbins. They had a refurbed FW ready to sew. Bought it too! Then got a Centennial in January from Graham Forsdyke. I think I've got the lust quenched, unless I find a Chicago Worlds Fair badged FW.

Blog Entries
    I have two, a white 221, and a black 222, both from ebay last year, so no history with them.

Blog Entries
    Mine was adv in local paper.A woman & her Sis had bought one the same day & had them for over 40 yrs.I had it for 15, then sold it.Too many machines & not enough space.

I got mine off E-bay over a year ago as a b-day gift from my DH. I don't plan on selling it. I love it and it purrs like a kitten, lol!!

I am still looking for my first Featherweight. I check CL, eBay, and the papers every day; I've told friends I am looking...nothing yet. My grandmother had two of them. I have fond memories of playing at her house up in Maine with the "tick-tick-tick-" in the background. I asked my aunt about them after my grandmother died. My aunt said she threw all that old junk away. It broke my heart. I think of my 'memere' every time I see one. I would have it for both use and display.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Hubby bought mine for me for my birthday a few years ago - it came from the local sewing center. It was refurbished and we paid about $300 for it...it came with the original manual, a box of attatchments, and carrying case. We paid on the high end for it but the nice thing is if you buy it from a sewing center you know it's in working order and any broken parts have been replaced. You can find them at antique shops, estate sales, yard sales, on ebay, but I wanted to be able to just go buy mine and bring it home and start sewing. LOL* I didn't have patience to hunt. ;)

I got mine at an estate sale after watching for one for about 3 years. It was the last day of the sale - I got it for $100. Works perfectly, very good condition, with attachments, manual and case. We are avid yard sale/flea market goers, and it took a lot of looking to find her...;)

The first featherweight that I ever sewed on belonged to my mother who purchased it new in 1947 right after she graduated from nurse's training. My oldest daughter has it now. My Centennial featherwieght was purchased at a local estate sale and I paid $45 from the nephew who had no idea what he had. I then "found" two featherweights on Kijiji listed at $60. I thought she wanted $60 each but she wanted $60 for both! They had belonged to her mother and aunt and she was just cleaning out and had no idea that they were worth a little more than she asked. My younger daughter's white featherweight (purchased new in 1963) was given to her by a neighbour who was cleaning out her mother's house and didn't want the machine as she didn't sew. As I really don't need three featherweights I am hoping to trade one for a nice 201 or 301 Singer in a cabinet.

My husband bought my first Featherweight on a garage sale. I was just getting into quilting 7 yrs ago or so. The other ones came from Craigslist last year. One was a sweet white one she is also fromt he mid sixties.

Blog Entries
    Mine was willed to me by my Great Aunt. I'm not sure where she got it, my mom and I guess it originally belonged to my Great-Aunt's Aunt. She passed away in 2002 and last summer I was toying with selling it and then got back into sewing with my other machine, then picked up quilting and found this board which opened my eyes to how useful and wonderful my little FW is. I pulled it out of the box and used it for the first time recently and I love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything now.

My first one I got on Ebay a few years back. Then, about two years later, my sweet MinL gave me hers because her eyes were starting to go. She made a lot of her own clothes on it. It was her first or second anniversary gift and she is 90 now. I love having it and think of her every time I use it. The other has been a bit neglected but I'm hoping to make the room to have both set up with different colored threads or something.

A friend of mine had it for years. It belonged to her Mother in law. She gave it to me to sell on ebay and when I saw it my jaw dropped. I told her she would never see it again and I would give her what she wanted for it when I had the money. She didn't want to take money from me and I ended up with a gifted machine. I love it.

I have only one, and I purchased it on craigslist. The seller had used it for sewing, but he had just inherited his grandmother's featherweight, and chose to keep it because of the sentiment attached. The one he sold came with the featherweight sewing table.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    I bought mine in 2003 from ebay. It's from 1953 (two years younger than I).

I am still looking!!!!!!!!!

My 1st was a G-sale 1976 $10 perfect, 1951 centennial. I love it and sew with it alot! My other I got here from 'Ggail' $200 its a 1955 my B-year haven't used it much yet but will I'm sure! 8-)

Add me to the list of people looking for one...
    My wishlist is, a FW centennial, a 301, and a red eye 66 that has NOT been electrified

Mine belonged to grandma. I have the original manual, attachments, and the FW table. The case still has a luggage tag with grandma's name. It is the first machine that I ever sewed with-grandma taught me the summer I turned 7.

I bought mine on Ebay this past year. I put in a lowball price and it was accepted. It was a private party selling it, not a dealer. It is a Centenial model made in 1950 for the 1951 Singer centennial. I love it.

ali

I inherited my Featherweight from my MIL. It was made in 1953.

I have the one that my mother received new for a wedding gift!!! It is the machine I learned to sew on.

I have 2. I bought both of them at flea markets.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast