Old 03-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Beachbaby12

My husband and I were in a quilt shop and he wanted to buy the Singer featherweight for me! Can you believe it? He likes old antiques and history like I do so that may have had something to do with it. Mine is the Centennial edition and I love it! It's been over a year since we purchased it. It came with the case and some accessories. I must say when I was younger, my mother had a Singer but not a featherweight - I too thought they looked liked a toy and too small. Mom had a regular Singer sewing machine and so did my grandmother, who was a dressmaker in the sweatshops in New York City a long time ago. My other grandmother had one with the treadle (sp?) and it was really old looking; I was just a kid and didn't realize or appreciate it. Never knew what happened to the machine - I suppose Mom got rid of it. I got a Singer from my dressmaker grandmother back in the day and still have it - she gave it to us for a wedding gift. All my grandmothers passed away a long time ago. I love the Featherweight and when I look up from sewing, I have a picture of Nana on th wall and she is at her sewing machine in the sweat shop working in New York City - really awesome!