Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM
yolanda

I concur with this response. In the end though it's how much did it cost you in materials and how much time did you spend. Add up the cost of materials plus how much your willing to sell your time for and that's your price. Esty listings are a good place to check to see what range your price is in.
Originally Posted by jamannix
Edie - Your work is outstanding and if obsessiveness is responsible then so be it.
Batiks that are not on sale are $10 to $11 in my area [Boston, MS]. You have already made one of these quilts so the reward of doing it for the first time
won't be there, and it may feel more like a job to you. I would never take a job for $3.84/hr unless I were starving.
I looked at what Caryl Bryer Fallert charges for her quilts at Bryerpatch Studios and her prices range from $1600 for a log cabin variant up to $9000 and more for some of her really intricate pieces. She also does not offer shams.
I could not afford to spend that much on what is basically bedding, but your customer might be in a better financial position.
Give her a "quote" with a breakdown of fabric costs, time/leaf appliqué,
long-arm costs, etc. and then go for a high-end price, $1500 or more.
Negotiate with her so that if you do come down at all, she will feel that you
treated her with honesty and fairness. That is what most contractors do, and
then everyone feels that their issues have been dealt with. - Judy