Old 03-09-2011, 10:10 AM
kapatt

I have several reasons for buying my vintage singers. First off, I like Singers since it is easy to find the needles, bobbins and parts for them. I finally realized that my obsession with black Singers was because of watching my Grandmother sew dresses for me on her old singer when I was around five years old. I enjoy fixing and working on these workhorses but they very seldom have problems so I don't get to work on them very much. (I end up buying broken ones in the 2nd hand stores so that I can tinker with them.)

I love the Singer models 401 and 403s because I can move the needle both to the right and left. (I have 3 of these machines. I have one down at my neighbors for when we quilt together. I have another one in my sewing/guest room and one in the dining room for when the sewing/guest room is being used.)
These two models help me to get the perfect 1/4 seam without using a special 1/4 foot. (I have several 1/4 feet for my newer machines but I can never seem to get a good 1/4 seam when I use them.)

I have two featherweights (one was my mothers and I bought the other one for sewing classes before I received my mothers). I very seldom use them even though I have the 1/4 foot for them. I like my 401s and 403 better.

I have two 301s that I also never use anymore and will probably give them away. I wanted my son to take one because it is a good sturdy machine. I hoped to trade him the 301 for the model 99 that I gave him in earlier years. The stinker wanted to trade for one of my featherweights instead and we couldn't come to an agreement. :lol:

I have a Singer treadle model 15 that does a great stitch and I enjoy treadling on it. Right now I'm making a log cabin quilt on it.

I bought another model 99 that I plan on making into a handcrank. It is small and I can put it away in a carrying case.
I have a model 66 that I am saving for when my husband wants to work on canvas things. (It keeps him away from my other machines.) It is a good working sewing machine and I've thought about putting it back into a cabinet but first I have to find the cabinet and find a place to put the cabinet.

I also have a handcrank model 127 that uses the boat shape type of bobbin. It was my first vintage singer that I had ever bought and I only had to pay about $35 for it. (This was about 15 years ago.) I do need to decide what I want to do with it, and I was going to sale it at a yard sale until I handcranked a few seams to make sure it worked properly. It was a dream to handcrank. It was very smooth and worked great. (I didn't put it up for sale as I had planned.) :roll:

I finally decided that I don't want to buy anymore Singers but I have to admit that I've heard very good things about the 201 that I decided I would pick up "ONE" more if I ever find one.
:lol: