Old 03-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Yorkielover5

Actually, I didn't buy my Featherweight. Rather, I asked for my mother's and she gave it to me. She had attachments and the wooden card table it fits into for a sewing table. A piece lifts out of the table to accommodate the machine. I did have to have some work done on it as well as replace the cords.

I learned to sew on that machine. It's like working with an old friend!

Mom's father gave her a dowry cow in 1941. For those who might not understand, it was an old English tradition to give a daughter a dowry when she married so she didn't go empty handed to her husband.

This cow was brindle colored. I sat on her when my dad milked it.

When I was 4 years old, electricity came into southern Iowa. My dad, trained after serving in WWII, wired electricity into our home. Mom was so excited! The first appliance she bought was a refrigerator to replace the ice box.

Then, Mom decided to sell that cow to pay for an electric sewing machine so she could make my school clothes, and be able to have the advantage of using a butonholer. The old treadle machine did not do that.

I cried and threw a fit at the thought of selling that cow! I thought there would be no more milk at the table. My dad discussed the issue with me and I sort of accepted the idea when he told me there were other cows on that ranch, and we would still have milk. However, those cows were not tame enough for met to sit upon while being milked.

Mom chose the Featherweight because of the storage case, and being able to put it away when not in use, which was hardly ever the case. Also, she felt that since they moved alot, it would be easy to move.

Oh yes, I have memories of that machine. I can remember Mom patching my dad's canvas overalls using it. I made doll clothes with it.

Since it came to my home, I have taken it to quilting retreats as well as other sewing at home. Also, we've used the card table for playing cards or working puzzles as my mother did.

When in my teens, I discovered I could set the buttonholer on a long length, using the largest buttonhole cam, and make zig zag stitches. Leave it to a kid!

I feel I inherited a tradition in this machine. Thanks, Mom!