Old 03-09-2011, 04:12 PM
PattyJean

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
Originally Posted by Nana2Sew
I was taught to thread any sewing machine with the presser foot up. You can lower the foot to thread the needle.
I'm lost on this topic. What difference would it make if the pressure foot is up or down? It's the position of the needle when it comes time to threading that counts doesn't it? I can't imagine trying to thread it when the needle is down. I seriously think that your dealer is feeding you a line of BS. I got a lemon Bernina & the shop didn't want to stand behind it. Go over their heads & write to the president of the company. I don't care how good they say these machines are, they do make faulty ones too. Good luck
It really does make a difference on the newer machines as the tension disk is very sensative with all the computerizim now. On the older machines, it wasn't has important. If the foot is down, you are pulling against all the tension spots in the machine. Thread it with the foot up then lower the foot to thread the needle and you will be safe. My mother was a seamstress when I was growing up and that was one of the first things she taught me. She used a Singer & a Kenmore. It really is a good habit to form.