Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina, Pressure Foot UP when threading A MUST??? >

Bernina, Pressure Foot UP when threading A MUST???

Bernina, Pressure Foot UP when threading A MUST???

Old 03-10-2011, 06:31 PM

My machine is a Bernina. I too found the presser foot up made it a lot easier to sew then. Yes, it was in my instruction. I am one of the people that like to learn the hard way.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
When threading the machine I always have my pressure foot up for the exact reason Ghost Rider explained. However, when threading my needle I have done it with pressure foot down but only dropping the pressure foot after I have taken enough slack in my thread that I may need. I never pull my thread through the machine when the tension disks are engaged (ie when pressure foot is down). I always raise it before pulling any thread. So much so that it is engrained habit now.
This is what I also do...but it's good to know the reason behind this!
Old 03-11-2011, 04:33 AM

Thread leaves a lot of lint behind if you remove your spool of thread by pulling it back up thru the tension more is left behind. It is so important to clean & oil your machine . I am so intuned to my machine I can tell by the sound if I need to clean,oil or change the needle. We have had customer bring in their machine and you would be amazed at the ball of lint from not cleaning. That is one of the instruction classes Bernina request all dealers offer to their customers.
Thank You.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by blisterful
(I posted a few weeks before when I was having trouble with timing going out 3 times in three weeks). I am still having the same issues with this machine. Yesterday, authorized Bernina repairman said the reason my Bernina is going out of time is because I have been threading machine with the pressure foot down. I find it hard to believe his statement. If this were true, our owner's manuals would have a great big warning statement telling us our machine may need servicing if we thread needle with pressure foot up. Bernina owners, please let me know if you have ever threaded your machine with the pressure foot down and what you think of his explanation.
IF this is true why do the auto treading machine have the foot down.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:39 AM

Because the auto threading mechanisms need the tension to be engaged (presser foot down) in order to work and thread the machine. Patty
Old 03-12-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by apples galore
Because the auto threading mechanisms need the tension to be engaged (presser foot down) in order to work and thread the machine. Patty
Thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 05:16 PM

I had trouble with my brother for same reason. The thread doesn't pick up properly in the tension discs if the foot is down
Old 03-13-2011, 07:11 AM

In my Bernina instruction classes dealer told us that pressure foot should be up when threading machine. When it is up, it releases the tension disks, allowing the thread to slip between them. If pf is down the thread will not slip between them properly therefore it will not have proper tension when sewing.