Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 540 threading issues >

Bernina 540 threading issues

Bernina 540 threading issues

Old 12-26-2019, 04:03 AM

Default Bernina 540 threading issues

I bought a Bernina 540 sewing machine for my mom and we will have the introduction course later this week, where the dealer will learn her the basics about the machine.

However, since she always used sewing machines before, we wanted to start off a bit.

When treading the machine and pulling down the automatic needle threader the following error message pops up on the screen: "Threading not possible, because the needle is not in the correct position. Turn the handwheel to position the needle in the highest position"

When I ignore the error message and use the automatic needle threader, the thread will never go through the needle, so there indeed seems to be an issue.

I already used the handwheel on the side to higher the needle, but it cannot go any higher. I also tried to press the button to set to needle position to "top", but this doesn't make a difference either. Also tried switching off the machine, but when restarted and using the automatic needle threader the error message shows again.

See attached photos.

Do you have any advice to move forward.
Attached Thumbnails wechatimg810.jpeg   wechatimg811.jpeg  
Old 12-26-2019, 04:20 AM

When I'm confronted by an error message that I can't figure out (and they're incredibly rare), I usually remove the bobbin and thread and needle and shut if off. Have a cup of coffee. Page through the manual or online for the issue. Then go through and replace the needle (a brand new one), re-thread and put the bobbin back in. 99% of my errors are due to me doing something silly. My one question is this: did the dealer unbox the machine and sew some scrap material for you? Was everything OK then? If this is an error right out of the box, I would call the dealer right away.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:28 AM

The needle is not over the center. It looks to be off to the left. Be sure the machine indicates the needle is centered. You can take it in for a tech to do or Ive sometimes pushed the whole thing over myself so that it lines up with the hole.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-26-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-26-2019, 07:10 AM

If you make one stitch with the the machine in "needle up" position, it will automatically go into the correct position. You don't want to turn the handwheel.

If that doesn't work, the needle threader may not be in sinc with the needle bar, and your tech can adjust that.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandrab64 View Post
The needle is not over the center. It looks to be off to the left. Be sure the machine indicates the needle is centered. You can take it in for a tech to do or Ive sometimes GENTLY pushed the whole thing over myself so that it lines up with the hole.
sandrab64 is correct but definitely do not manually push the needle over with your finger not even gently. A machine with as much electronics as the 540 could very easily be damaged by doing so. You should have centering buttons on the machine and a display that shows where the machine senses the needle is. Judging by your picture it is at least one but possibly two positions left of center. I'm really surprised the machine didn't default back to center when you turned it off and on again. But if someone changed the default to be left of center that could cause it. I just looked up your manual on line and page 38 tells you how to adjust the center needle position.

https://www.bernina.com/bernina/medi...2019-09_EN.pdf
Old 12-26-2019, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

The needle threader must have the needle hole in the right spot or you can damage the needle threader. If using your needle up/down button does not put the hole in the right position and you still get the error, it needs to go to the technician for a fix. Just thread by hand until you can get to the shop.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

With my Bernina 440, I just press my heel on the foot pedal once to position the needle for threading. I don't know if this also works on the 540.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:49 PM

I would not touch it until I went in for my first lesson. Would not want to effect the warranty on it. Let your dealer handle it
Old 12-26-2019, 01:02 PM

I was told and read in my manual that I am never to turn the wheel by hand. Also is the needle in right? I also agree with everyone else that the needle does not line up with the needle hole. Good luck on your attempts.