Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Dec 20-22, 2019 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Dec 20-22, 2019

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Dec 20-22, 2019

Old 12-19-2019, 03:32 PM

Default Virtual Quilting Weekend--Dec 20-22, 2019

Welcome to VQW. What are you working on this weekend? Last minute Christmas finishes? Cleaning out and organizing your room in anticipation of inventory sales after Christmas? Are you really prepared and starting gifts for next year? Maybe you're trying to get just one more UFO completed before 2020 starts. Whatever you're working on, please join us and share. I plan to work on BOM and BOW to hopefully catch up. However, it is my husband's 50th birthday tomorrow so will probably have to spend some time with him!

The next regular VQW will be January 14-17, 2020. If there is enough interest, I will do a virtual quilting day on New Year's Day.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:04 PM

How lovely! Just when I needed some support in my quilting.

During the last weekend I was working on the "Cherry Goose" quilt I've been tracking in this thread:
Needing Help Finding A Quilt Pattern

I put it together wrong, took it apart and put it back together, that's the post linked. Have decided to go exactly with the border shown. Because the large cherry print is directional, I'll be cutting the long borders from the long length of the fabric, but full width is still too short for the top/bottom so those will have to be pieced.

I'm doing the Bonnie Hunter Frolic mystery, but it's not enough for a week's worth of quilting, so I've decided to do another variation of the Cherry Goose but with very different fabrics and look. So that's what I'll be starting this weekend. The fabrics are washed and ready to go, slicing and dicing comes first. Oh, and fussy cutting. Of course I have to take a very simple project and make it harder.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:34 PM

well, darn! Have son's family showing up Sat. night for the whole week so basically won't be getting any sewing or quilting done all week! Know I'll have withdrawal! Oldest g-son will be bunking in my sewing room, may get a little quilting done but likely I'll be joined by the 5 & 6 yr old g-sons in the basement. they do go to the other grandma's (although sleeping here) a few times, so maybe I'll sew then.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:37 PM

I will be sewing pillowcases for my great grandchildren for Christmas. I'm running behind because I had a car accident and have been having way too many doctor/dentist appointments. I think I'm pretty free tomorrow and Saturday, though being in a wheelchair does slow things down.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:13 AM

Happy VQW everyone! I have a family gathering Saturday, but I am immersed in several projects right now. Clue 4 of the Bonnie Hunter mystery comes out today and I am also working on a crazy project with 2 friends - the Omigosh quilt! For that one, I need to cut 3200 2" squares... we're talking crazy train here folks! Woowoo!
Old 12-20-2019, 03:28 AM

Irishrose2, sorry to hear about your accident but I hope your recovery has a positive outcome.

Thank you Raggiemom for hosting VQW. It is a perfect (chilly) weekend to hangout in my sewing room. Other than BH’s mystery (oh yeah and the Bernina Sugaridoo QAL) I don’t have any UFO’s or projects to catch up on so I may just load some old sheets on my LA and practice FMQ this weekend. I am also gearing up for my New Year’s deep clean and organizing of my sewing studio.

QuiltingVagabond, I’ve seen pictures of the Omigosh quilt...you are talking crazy. LOL
Old 12-20-2019, 04:10 AM

No sewing for me this weekend! I packed up the last of my "user" machines this morning and DH and I will be heading out with the truck, small trailer and my loaded RAV for our first load. We are scheduled to close at 10, and since we're over an hour away we wanted to take the first load with us. This afternoon we'll be picking up a large enclosed trailer for moving furniture. My RAV can pull the little one so we're hoping to get most moved in the next three days.

I'll be checking this thread so I can enjoy everyone's progress! I'm already feeling like I'm going through sewing withdrawal!

Irishrose - I hope you continue to heal and feel better. Seems the older we get, it take so much longer to recuperate.

I made an OMG quilt. I got sick of all the little pieces so put a big border on it!
Old 12-20-2019, 04:35 AM

Family will be arriving so I won’t be sewing. In fact I cleaned my sewing room from top to bottom this week. I even washed the curtains, windows , etc. I sweep often and was shocked at all of the lint.��. I have a bed in there so it may be needed. Mr. Peach (my sweet cat) sleeps there while I sew. I am not sure he will appreciate someone sleeping in his bed.

Irishrose, I hope you are recovering nicely and quickly. Take care.

Quilting vagabond I bought the pattern for OMG. I am thinking of using 30’s fabrics and really good unbleached muslin.

Macy baby I hope your move goes smoothly. You made me really think before I start OMG. I do get a bit bored with so many little pieces and repetition. I recently finished Pam Buda’s “Circa1880”. It wasn’t hard but it was intense.

I am sure I will be sewing on New Year’s Day when I am all alone again. Reggiemom thanks so much for hosting.❤️

Last edited by luvstoquilt; 12-20-2019 at 04:38 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:45 AM

these VQW's, it's great to know that there are so many of us in our quilting rooms working on something and the support is always awesome! <3 <3 <3

This weekend, I'm working on my two hexagon quilts, I've got one with one-inch hexies and another with 2-inch hexies. I've also got some organizing to do, the significant other surprised me with yet another cool addition to my quilting room, a beautiful chest with a lift-out drawer, I intend on using that for my tie-off supplies, put my yarn, crochet thread, needles, thimbles, finger grips and such inside.

I'm also super excited to be getting some new acrylic templates this weekend from Sew Easy (diamonds), I received a $20 gift card from Amazon and ordered those plus some new heat erase pens. I've got a few more scraps in my stash that I can play around with the templates, I fell in love with Shar Jorgensen's Grandmother's Flower Garden pattern, so I've got to get used to sewing diamonds with 'Y' seams before I actually put it on my quilt.

Naturally, pictures will be posted later, I've got to let my rechargeable batteries hang out in the charging station before I start snapping pictures.

Super excited, and yes, thanks to Raggiemom for hosting!! Oh, New Year's Day VQD would be fun, I'm in!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-20-2019 at 09:45 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-20-2019, 06:00 AM

I'm afraid I am out for this one way to much going on and with my not being well, I am in a whirlwind of trying to play catch up. This morning I am off to the nursing home to spend a holiday with my mother. Saturday I have another commitment and Sunday busy doing other last minute things to get the house fixed up. I will have to catch the next one.